Electric Shavers...... How the hell to use em

TheLegace

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, Now i am having a really tough time with this electric shaver i just bought, someone help me out here, my face is all red, and now much hair is coming off, i really wanna know how to use this thing and yes it is one of these cheap ones for like $15, but thats not the point i hope, anyway please post soon, my face looks like a disaster rite now, half of its all red.
Anyway is there like a special motion thing i should follow, or is it that my skins to young im only 15, but started shaving at like 13.
(HOLY CRAP IS RITE)
THanx, please help, gotta have a good face for school tommroow.

TheLegace

Don Juan
Reaction score
OH so sorry, i posted this in the wrong forum. Well maybe someone can answer it and it can become tips,
sorry again.

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1) where did you find a shaver for 15 bucks in toronto?
2) what kind of shaver is it?

BTT:

1) shave against the hair growth
2) don't press at all. Do it lightly

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Either use blades or invest in a decent electric shaver(can get one for 40-60 bucks nowadays). Dont use those cheap electric ones from ghetto brands, they will only mess up your skin.

I would recommend Norelco ReflexPlus 6423 LC. Some useful features like low-bat indicator are missing, but very little irritation and relatively cheap.

LongDrinkofWater

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The reason I found this site to begin with was because I was on the Internet looking for tips on how to get a really close shave. The tips I saw are probably still somewhere on the board, and they were good.
There are a lot of different types of beards out there, so responses will vary accordingly, but at age 15, yours probably isn't too coarse just yet.
My advice would be to forget the electric shaver. 15 bucks? The last electric I bought cost $80, and it didn't shave worth a nickel compared to a blade.

My routine is something like this: wash face with cold water, using the palms of your hands to rub the neck and cheeks and get the hair to stand up a little more. Cold water stiffens the hairs a bit, and I feel this helps get a closer shave. Shaving cream is Nivea gel. After applying, I sprinkle water on my hands to wet the shaving cream a bit more, which makes it smoother and not so thick (and remove the excess). I have a well-defined jawline, so shaving around the corners is tricky. I chanced into using two razors, a Gillette Mach 6 (all around good shave) for most stuff, and a Gillette Sensor Excel for the hard to get areas. Also, I find that shaving right out of the shower is a great way to get cut. Skin is too soft. Shave first.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are tons of threads already regarding how to shave with both electric razors and normal blades. Try a search, thanks.

H&F, closed.

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by LongDrinkofWater
The reason I found this site to begin with was because I was on the Internet looking for tips on how to get a really close shave. The tips I saw are probably still somewhere on the board, and they were good.
There are a lot of different types of beards out there, so responses will vary accordingly, but at age 15, yours probably isn't too coarse just yet.
My advice would be to forget the electric shaver. 15 bucks? The last electric I bought cost $80, and it didn't shave worth a nickel compared to a blade.

My routine is something like this: wash face with cold water, using the palms of your hands to rub the neck and cheeks and get the hair to stand up a little more. Cold water stiffens the hairs a bit, and I feel this helps get a closer shave. Shaving cream is Nivea gel. After applying, I sprinkle water on my hands to wet the shaving cream a bit more, which makes it smoother and not so thick (and remove the excess). I have a well-defined jawline, so shaving around the corners is tricky. I chanced into using two razors, a Gillette Mach 6 (all around good shave) for most stuff, and a Gillette Sensor Excel for the hard to get areas. Also, I find that shaving right out of the shower is a great way to get cut. Skin is too soft. Shave first.
I tried this routine last night and cut myself twice. Dude, everyone else has said to take a shower first, because it makes more sense. After a shower, your skin is more supple and flexible and less likely to tear.

I personally use a combo electric with regular. I get out the shower, apply the gel, use warm water to dillute it and thin it out. Then I use the regular razor to shave in the direction of hair growth. Afterwards, if there are patches left, I go over them with the electric razor. I almost never get cut this way and it leaves my face reasonably smooth. Not perfect, but it's the best I've found without getting cut.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Something most people don't realise with electric razors is that it takes a couple of weeks for your skin to adjust. They shave once or twice with an electric and think that's as good as it gets, then go back to straight edge razors. That's probably what
LongDrinkofWater experienced.

I've been using an electric razor (~$60 if I remember correctly) for years and will never go back to straight edge razors. The thing I like the most about electic is that they are WARM. The last thing I want in the morning is to put cold slimy sh1t on my face, a cold razor, then cold water to wash the slimy sh!t off. With an electric, I don't have to worry about shaving cream or water. And since my skin has adjusted, the shave is just as close as a straight edge.

I suggest buying a better electric shaver, then stick with it for 2 weeks before you judge. Don't shave against the hair growth for about a week, and don't ever press down hard. Shave before you take a shower, not after.