dude... GED is so underrated!

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
get this...

i found out today before taking my GED, that i can get a four year scholarship to a university.

i have to pass the GED above everyone that i'm taking the the test with. there are about 12 people taking the test with me. i have to score 650 or above. and the perfect score is 800.

i think they said 450 is the passing score, and 650 and above was rare.

not to mention i took my pre-GED test and passed it with a 680 or so, and the instructor said i was one of the few that had that score.

it's going to be so easy... the average person there were the average high school dropout, ghetto white-"trash" kids (no racial thing intended, no offense to anyone), or 30-40 year olds adults who most likely had to study for six months because they forgot everything (who i know i'll be above easily).

i was thinking of joining the air national guard just to pay for college... but finding this out today, i might not have to! i really wouldn't enjoy being in the military... mainly because the change of my lifestyle if i did join... cutting my hair, working around my job and such... it's something i wouldn't want to change.

imagine everyone who told me getting my GED was stupid and that i should just finish high school. imagine them having to pay for expensive schooling, or going to a community college for two years to transfer to a university... them with their high school diploma. imagine them seeing me with my GED get FOUR years of free schooling at top local university (not of my choice... but still a popular school).

imagine me the one who sucked at school turn his life around and get free schooling... majoring in medicine... making more money than everyone else that said getting my GED would be stupid.

i wouldn't have to get into debt with school, and i could just pay for a car and if i decide to move out on my own... my own rent! i won't be living paycheck to paycheck like most college kids.

man... GED is so underrated.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Umm...no offense but...if you cant finish high school what makes you think you can go to school for 12 more years? Clearly you didnt like school.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
College/university isn't the same as HS if you are studying something you enjoy. HS is all about memorizing sh!t and gulping it up for the tests, while at university the prof require some sort of free individual thinking (at least when it comes to law).

The Sperminator

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well don't act so ****y. You didn't get the scholarship yet. Study hard for this test because a scholarship to a 4 year university is a big deal. Don't **** it up.

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Sperminator said:
Well don't act so ****y. You didn't get the scholarship yet. Study hard for this test because a scholarship to a 4 year university is a big deal. Don't **** it up.
Absolutely!

Although, please keep us posted on how things turn out for you man! Best of luck!

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
Umm...no offense but...if you cant finish high school what makes you think you can go to school for 12 more years? Clearly you didnt like school.

I dropped out of school at 16. I currently maintain a 3.8 GPA as an engineering student while working full time. I'm going to try and get accepted to a combined masters program next fall.

Highschool is an industry for the masses. I've never been conventional in my methods.

Anyway, good luck Michele.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
High school is a racket. My state never lets kids skip grades or graduate early, because that would mean they lose some of their Federal money. And do you know why they care so much about attendance? It's because they get paid per kid, per hour of class attended. Skipping costs the school money, which is why it makes them mad.

I took a couple college courses during high school, but it would have been faster to drop out at 16 and get a GED, then go to JC. One would have an associate's at 18 while your friends are just graduating high school. I think it's the "drop-out" stigma that keeps bright kids from doing this.