Don't bring your personal problems to work!

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
I thought I'd share this story with you guys because I think some of you run the risk of making the same mistake one of my co-workers is currently making.

There is a guy at work...I'll call him "Downer Dan".

Downer Dan makes his rounds at work every day, going into every work area and complaining about his personal problems to anyone who makes eye contact with him. These problems consist of his ex wife moving in with her boyfriend. He does this at least once a day in my work area. I'm about to throw something at him, he's so annoying. No one at work likes him. In fact, everyone wishes he would be fired they are so sick of what he does. He never works because he is so wrapped up in his own bitterness and wallowing in self-pity. People make fun of him as soon as he leaves. A 63 year old sweet grandmotherly old lady told him to "Get a Life" a few days before Christmas because he was ruining everyone's good mood.

So...if you find yourself so focused on how your ex did you wrong that it's all you ever talk about to people and you feel compelled to seek out sympathy and pity from others by talking about it then you need to take a step back and make the necessary steps to move on with your life. If that means getting a therapist to talk about these problems with...then do it. Just don't subject your co-workers to incessant whining, crying and complaining about your personal problems. They all have their own problems to worry about and aren't interested in yours. They just want to keep busy at work and try to keep their mind OFF all the negative things.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Red_Tiger
have you considered joinig a womens discussion room for a change?
This guy doesn't just annoy the women. I work mostly with men...and the men hate him worse than the women do. The guys all think he's a whiny biotch. I might add that I live in a place where the vast majority of the men are very masculine. It's actually a fairly traditional place with more than 75% of my co-workers being happily married for many, many years.

This is a very valid topic that I have yet to see discussed here. Don't piss all over it simply because I happened to be the one to bring it up. That's not very mature...

Chrispy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Gottaq agree wtih Wyldfire - it's not just bringing that kind of negative attitude to work, it's bringing it anywhere. Some people are so miserable that they have to figure out all their own problems before they can start dating. It's very unattractive to be a downer all negative and complaining all the time.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chrispy
Gottaq agree wtih Wyldfire - it's not just bringing that kind of negative attitude to work, it's bringing it anywhere. Some people are so miserable that they have to figure out all their own problems before they can start dating. It's very unattractive to be a downer all negative and complaining all the time.
i agree

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good post. It's not her problem if some clowns read into it too much.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's this guy who does the same at my workplace. I swear he can turn a roomful of Anthony Robbins fans into goths.

Eventually whenever he walked into the room, we would all make jokes and laugh loudly, so that we could drown out his whining.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by diplomatic_lies
There's this guy who does the same at my workplace. I swear he can turn a roomful of Anthony Robbins fans into goths.

Eventually whenever he walked into the room, we would all make jokes and laugh loudly, so that we could drown out his whining.
I noticed at my work that the men are less tolerant of him then the women are. This guy is really bad because he honestly is never in his own work area...he just wanders around and whines all day long...looking for someone to listen to him. The guy really needs a therapist.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
we had an old guy named bob like that. all he did was whine. needless to say, he is no longer there anymore.

Alicorn

Banned
Reaction score
We have a poster on sosuave like this: all she does is whine about how ex-con husband got shot while doing criminal sh!t.

We all wish she would just STFU.

:rolleyes:

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Funny:

Wyldfire posts on how some guy takes his PERSONAL problems to work and how it influences his behavior toward others, and their's toward his...and a HANDFULL of posters on this specific thread do the same. I wonder how many "Downer Dans" SoSuave has??

----------------------------

I concur, most people let the MIND be the MASTER, and the soul/spirit be the slave, with the body following it.

Those who never take the time to see it, though, don't see it as wrong. They call you callous, careless, insensitive, and expect to be able to dump their problems on you at work.

It's unfair to the employer AND to the co-workers. In fact, in ALL circumstance I abhor those who dump emotional problems on other's as if they are the end of the world. Your first indication that YOU have a problem with YOURSELF is how big the emotional impact has been on you.

The second part is, do you want to do something about it, or do you just want to whine and moan like a big baby and get nothing done? If you want to accomplish something, you'll have a CAN DO attitude. If you don't, you'll whine, moan, blame, and linger on the negativity.

Funny thing is, ALL people have the EXACT relationship they desire at the moment, and end up DRAGGING that bad disease of rotting negativity FORWARD, infecting, future, potentially wonderful relationships. Guys and girls don't realize this, but because of how important first impressions are they're infected, and concurrently, a woman or man will react back according to your feelings that moment.

So if you're down and a d!ck when you meet some girl, she's likely to be negative toward, or pay no interest. You'll be an AFC or a chump, or just turn her off, and it would be pretty hard to turn the woman around. If you're up and positive, NOBODY and NOTHING infects you. YOU ARE ALL POWERFUL. Screw the emotion, the person. YOU Control YOU. When you give into those bad emotions, effectively you say..."I don't control myself. Hi, I'm a puppett, yank my strings."

Don't bring your trash to work, or anywhere public for that matter. This isn't about FVCKING society, it's about you, yourself, and your life, and caring. Social robots react to all emotions like a matrix of life. Yes, emotions are ALL good. And we can only be 1 emotion at a time, but go through a strong of them. HOWEVER, we are not the EMOTION. It comes and goes. I bet you can't remember the emotion of New Year's, or yesterday, or even on your 7th birthday. So why take it personally as if it's REAL???

A-Unit

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Work starts for me at 7am. By 7:20 am "Downer Dan" was in my work area complaining about how his daughter got the flu and it's all his ex wife's fault because of her new boyfriend. I don't know how on earth he rationalizes his thinking. The flu does not appear in a kid because the kid's mother has a live in boyfriend. It typically comes from another kid at school. For 25 minutes this guy subjected my whole work area to his whining. I had to go get something from another work area at around 8am and I'll be damned if he wasn't there repeated the entire diatribe he just inflicted upon the people who work in my area.

He makes these same rounds every single day, often more than once. I honestly don't know why he hasn't been fired because there is just no way he can be doing any work because he's NEVER in his own work area unless he's whining to someone else who is at least trying to get something done.

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, we get it... You're annoyed... You're fed up with "Downer Dan"...

Stop complaining to us about it.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Update...

The president of the company's main office came to visit this week. Yesterday he got to witness the behavior of this guy (who was a supervisor) and was so disgusted that he gave the guy two choices...take a huge cut in pay and be demoted from supervisor to regular employee or leave. He has until Friday to tell the president what his choice is. Apparently, the area he is in charge of is in complete shambles. With all the wandering around whining about his ex wife all day long he never did his job. It took awhile...but it finally came back to bite him in the arse really hard. I have no sympathy for him at all...everyone warned him and warned him this would happen. People told him to move on and to stop bringing his personal problems to work. He brought it on himself...

Whichever the case...this is GREAT news because IF he chooses to stay as a regular employee he will have to stay in his own work area and actually work instead of roaming around whining and distracting everyone else from doing their work. Personally, I hope he leaves for good because if he doesn't all we'll hear at break time and lunch is him whining about being demoted and how it was unfair and it's all the fault of his ex wife and her new boyfriend that he lost his comfy supervisor job. :rolleyes:

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seems like you're just making the point in order to propogate your own little work-problem story (which noone here seems to give a f*ck).

This sounds more like it should go in the Dr. Phil forum, or perhaps Opera.

You're just like Downer Dan, but on an internet forum!