Does IQ test mean anything in real life?

djtdot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well does it? How important is it in real life? Are people with higher IQs always successful and are people with lower IQs doomed to failure? Does our society place too much importance on bookish knowledge? For a student to succed in school/university what is more important: motivation or just plain intelligence? Recently I have had to teach a bunch of 'gifted' grade 9/10 students some stuff
I learnt only in 2nd year. But I see that even though they understand all the technical stuff very easily some have a real hard talking about stuff outside the computer world. These guys probably have IQs in the 140s or 150s. But does it mean anything when they go out in the real world? I am confused about the whole thing. I read in Richard Branson's autobiography and he had said "If I was ever given a IQ test, I would probably get a 0 in that". And we all know who Sir Richard is and how much he has accomplished.

So my question is which is more important.. being street smart or being book smart or a mixture of both?

Personally my IQ at one point was 137 and these days its hovering around the 105-110 mark. But I am actually doing better these days than my past when my IQ was higher.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally my IQ at one point was 137 and these days its hovering around the 105-110 mark.
I guess you took one of those online IQ-tests (or well some) and not one of the standardized things psychologists etc. have?

Because..your IQ doesn't just drop or whatever. Such a discrepancy (on standardized tests) isnt really possible (unless you didnt even try when you got the 105-110s).

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IQ dont mean nothing.

Most of the greatest entrepreneurs in the world are not even the smartest men. My brother for one, owns a multi-million dollar company, and he is not nearly as "smart" as I am. I work in a professional job, am well educated, was more coordinated at sports, more charismatic and always had more friends, but he is more "successful" as far as money is concerned. Most people with high IQs end up educated, and work to make someone else money generally.

But "success" depends on many things for me, the most important including a great group of friends and social network, good family, a job you enjoy, and passions outside work and family/friends (sports, arts, music etc). That and a comfortable living as far as finance, is what I classify as being successful. I dont need millions of dollars when my favourite time of my week is playing some bball or football with my mates for hours on end, followed by a bbq and a chat.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IQ is something that you "use it or lose it", you need to exercise the brain, not leave it dormant, because then your intelligence WILL drop a bit.

I think some IQ tests are useful. The numbers ones obviously test your mathematical capability, the shapes/sequences are good for finding patterns, the word-logic like "all people are black, some blacks are travellers -> At least some people are travellers" are good to test your "awareness" of a situation, so to speak.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Apparently the guy with the world's highest IQ is working as a bouncer in some hickwille in the USA.

High IQ in itself does not mean anything in real life, but high IQ combined with the right social conditions can take you very far.

noneother

Don Juan
Reaction score
High IQ in my opinion only matters in academics. In the real world there are way to many factors to take into account. You can be hell smart but if you don't have the ability to network and build relationships then your ****ed. However it is granted higher IQ makes life easier.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some of my law professors probably have 180 IQs, yet they have very low emotional intelligence. They can't tell when they are insulting or rude or have any idea what another person is thinking, and they tend to have screwed-up private lives. These are not people whom I envy.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If oyu are asking in terms of the working world how important it is, well i saw an article about osme research done, it said that up to an IQ of 120 there is a very strong correlation between high IQ and higher wages.

Above 120 the corleation complety breaks down and there is no link between wages and IQ so basicly typicaly someone with an IQ of 120 will earn more then some one with an IQ of 110 but someone with an IQ of 140 will not necciserly make more money then someone with an IQ of 130, he may do but the chance of the 130 IQ guy makeing more money then the 140 IQ guy is roughly equal.

Porky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
madgame said:
Because..your IQ doesn't just drop or whatever. Such a discrepancy (on standardized tests) isnt really possible (unless you didnt even try when you got the 105-110s).
he could have blown his mind with hardcore drugs.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Porky said:
he could have blown his mind with hardcore drugs.
It could just be a bad day, on proper IQ tests i have done i always get near 130, ussualy slighty under (unlike the crap internet ones where i get more like 145) but once i onlygot 115

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. I assume that you guys who talk about gifted kids having IQ's in their 140s or 150s..and law professors having IQ's of 180, don't exactly know how this IQ-scale is constructed. Basically somebody who has an IQ of 130 is ...better at solving the presented types of problems... than 98% of the rest of the average population..which means there's about 1 in 50 people like that..
If you take an IQ of 145 that means that person is better at solving the presented type of problems (ill go on by just saying smarter..) than 99,9% of the population...thus 1 in 1000....I dont know the exact numbers but thats how it goes on....so an IQ of 180..is pretty well.....my guess is it's one in a million....this IQ score thing doesn't work like meters or centimeters or years of age...its just a way to express how many people the person who took the test was able to outperform on the test....

2. The tests on the internet and on the TV shows are really sort of ridiculous...After all an IQ score basically just gives you a tendency of how intelligent you are by nature. It's just a tendency after all..whereas standardized IQ tests that are used by doctors and psychologist's to find out whether somebody is gifted or has ADD for example (the 'symptomes' are often very muhc alike as strange as it sounds) or whether somebody has problems b/c he's not very intelligent to put it mildly are fairly accurate (there usually aren't any big discrepancies on those tests if the same person takes different of those standardized ones). However someone might score 2 point less on this test and 5 more on some other (standardized) test, but basically it shows the same tendency (after all, it's not meant for people to be able to boast with their exact IQ scores like with **** size or whateva...).
The tests on TV and on the internet however are a lot less accurate...Somebody with an actual high IQ might score lower on them, because they put too much pressure on being able to solve the problems in a very very quick time, whereas the real tests focus more on being able to solve complex problems (without too much of a harsh time restriction)...so people who are good at solving things fast might have overrated IQs on those tests whereas other people might have lower IQ scores on their tests, than they should have....but that's just the tip of the iceberg...plus a lot of those tests on the internet or whatever generally tend to overestimate IQ scores, because...well people prefer to have their 'IQ' overestimated a little than underestimated...I remember there was this thread about an IQ test on my college discussion board and basically everybody who took the test had an IQ of 130 or over, which would mean that all of them were smarter than 98% of the rest of the population (whereas I knew 2 of them..and they were..well not just not good at school, but obviously not really smart in general)....So if you want to have your IQ estimated and want the result to be not waaay off, you better take a standardized test for which you'd usually have to pay unless you have problems b/c of which something like that needs to be done....

Well does it? How important is it in real life? Are people with higher IQs always successful and are people with lower IQs doomed to failure? Does our society place too much importance on bookish knowledge? For a student to succed in school/university what is more important: motivation or just plain intelligence?
Of course people with higher IQ's aren't ALWAYS succesful...you better look at it this way: If you take a whole bunch of people with high IQ and compare them to a whole bunch of people with low IQ scores (on real tests) the GROUP of the ones with the higher IQ scores will probably be more OVERALL succesful...but there'll probably still be some people with lower IQ scores who are more succesful than some of the people with high IQs....and so on....

however, people with (real) IQs over 130..as in gifted people often have many different problems...they are said to have overexcitable nervous system, different ways of studying (they are visual-spatial learners and not auditory-sequential learners) which don't fit well with the school system, learning disabilities (as in ADD or ADD like symptomes, auditory processing problems, handwriting disabilities etc.) ...and thus there are a WHOLE BUNCH of gifted people who are so called underachievers, which by definition means they are diagnosed as gifted after taking several standardized tests and after being observed by a psychologist etc. but still their grades are worse than the grades of the average student in school (whereas sometimes they might exhibit great skills in one or a few subjects, whereas they suck in others).. some even fail high school b/c of all that...the numbers for the estimated percentage of those underachievers range from 15 to 50% of all gifted individuals...and that's no joke..(and let's forget the problems that a lot of gifted kids have due to being liked by their peers as they come across goofy arent good at sports and basically what you'd call 'nerds')

However....IQ ist just one of the things that are necessary to become succesful imho....for example if you choose a career where you can hardly make any money and are the smartest person on the planet another guy who goes into business or engineering and is rather of average intelligence might be more succesful than you moneywise..........

For a student to succed in school/university what is more important: motivation or just plain intelligence?
This remidns me of some article I read, where the discussion had come up, whether Kobe Bryant was as good as he is because he's so talented by nature or because he was brought up as an athlete by his father and has always been so overly dilligent....some people had the opinion it was his talent..others had the opininon that it was pure dedication...

but come on......it's always a combination of both...........and whether intellgience is more important in succeeding in college than motivation is....heck I think that's pretty difficult to say..and it will depend on the major you choose as well......but basically in my experience motivation is more important to succed in college (whereas if you're having a shot at computer science you might not stand a chance no matter how motivated you are, in case you're bad with maths...)

Marlimus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
IQ doesn't mean jack **** in real life. I'm not saying that because I'm jealous of anybody. I'm 140. But there is no correlation between IQ and material success in life.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marlimus said:
IQ doesn't mean jack **** in real life. I'm not saying that because I'm jealous of anybody. I'm 140. But there is no correlation between IQ and material success in life.
Like my post above said, in research done, there was found to be a corelation but it breaks off after an IQ of 120.