Do you think all the obesity Rx on the market has reduced demand for french fries?

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was reading this, and got interested:
Lamb Weston, the largest producer of french fries in North America, announced last week that it is cutting 4% of its global workforce and curtailing production lines following a dismal earnings report, as first reported by CNN.

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I attribute this decline to our becoming a nation of sushi eating hipsters

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe they discovered Belgian Pommes Frites.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Not in Europe it hasn't...

I was stunned to see that almost every other restaurant I saw was some sort of Burger and Fry restaurant.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not in Europe it hasn't...

I was stunned to see that almost every other restaurant I saw was some sort of Burger and Fry restaurant.
They're for the tourists. You see many locals eating there? Plus you have to figure in the portion size, which is much smaller in Europe vs America.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
They're for the tourists. You see many locals eating there? Plus you have to figure in the portion size, which is much smaller in Europe vs America.

Not sure, I wanted to try the local food not eat stuff I could get back home...never understood why people go to a country then want to eat the same food they could get back home except worse.

I was eating the Croquettes and BitterBallen in the Netherlands and Escargot in France, etc...

Even tried some traditional Welsh food in Lille because that's part of their culture there and almost every restaurant serves multiple Welsh items.

Have to admit I couldn't get down with the pickled herring that seemed to be everywhere in the Netherlands tho...I don't do raw fish at all...no sushi, no pickled herring, no caviar, etc

BaronOfHair

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have to admit I couldn't get down with the pickled herring that seemed to be everywhere in the Netherlands tho...I don't do raw fish at all...no sushi, no pickled herring, no caviar, etc
And yet like almost every man at SS, you've chowed down on your share of Raw Kitty, with perhaps even some of it being Medium Rare at the time, even this ain't exactly what you ordered. Uncooked seafood is pretty banal, by comparison

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only fish I'm never going to eat anymore is Fugu.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like me some french fried potaters. Mmm-hmm.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not sure, I wanted to try the local food not eat stuff I could get back home...never understood why people go to a country then want to eat the same food they could get back home except worse.

I was eating the Croquettes and BitterBallen in the Netherlands and Escargot in France, etc...

Even tried some traditional Welsh food in Lille because that's part of their culture there and almost every restaurant serves multiple Welsh items.

The best cuisines in the Netherlands are Indonesian & kebab.

Reaction score
No, people are struggling. They are too poor to afford the luxury of French Fries.
Agree.
Plus with advancements in technology, machines are doing more work in the production process which is faster and cheaper to maintain than paying wages to employees. So when they cut back on the workforce, this circles right back to more poor people struggling and buying a bag of potatoes at the grocery store and coming home to make them at home instead of stopping by McDonald's.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree.
Plus with advancements in technology, machines are doing more work in the production process which is faster and cheaper to maintain than paying wages to employees. So when they cut back on the workforce, this circles right back to more poor people struggling and buying a bag of potatoes at the grocery store and coming home to make them at home instead of stopping by McDonald's.
Exactly. The way things are going with the economy is unsustainable because a rich person can only buy so many things for himself, and then save and invest their money. But they are not going to go McDonalds and buy fries until their belly pops out. That's why concentrating too much wealth in the hands of too few people will inevitably lead to a state of a Depression. It's mainly the masses of people who keep things running. If they can only afford bare necessities (even if they can go that far), then who is going to buy everything else? Obviously, as more people leave or are booted from the workforce, or have low-paying wage-slavery jobs, then it becomes counter-productive for corporations to continue to cut salaries or workers since their own business will eventually take a hit.