Do you (Americans) greet with a cheek to cheek kiss?

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As maybe some of you know, I'm in the works of a gym guide.

But I stumbled again into something that I believe is very important.

In my country, whenever a man and a woman say hi, they kiss cheek to cheek. This happens in almost all situations, except in proffesional-like situations, and/or, when like it's you and a lady who is, well, indigenous, or feels below you or whatever. Anyway, in most situations, including what's most important to us DJs, that is, DJing, it's very very common for the cheek to cheek kiss take place as a greeting or farewell. The man normally initiates it, it's right cheek to right cheek, and very weak men don't initiate it.

Anyways, to my question to people who live in the U.S, and why not, elsewhere, do you do this?
I've seen TV. And, at least in US shows, they don't do it, and neither do most (Americans) who are here. Btw, I'm American too since I live in America the continent.

If not, you are missing out, since it's kind of a kino-ice-breaker. Especially if she's not used to it. If not, you could use it and say "oh, it's a habit I developed from being in ____". Allthough, maybe you guys could get sued for that shyat! :crackup: (I'm laughing AT you).

woods

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No, we dont do that here. I dont know why, and have never questioned it.

Charm&Style

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Same thing in persian culture and i believe european too...you greet with a cheek to cheek kiss.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually...if you are of Latino Heritage (e.g. born in the U.S. but your parents and ethnicity is from Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, etc. or Puerto Rican as every Puerto Rican is a U.S. citizen by birth), then you can see the women to women kiss on the cheek or the woman-to-man kiss on the cheek.

If I'm not mistaking, second generation Italo-Americans do the same (males to males included).

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, indeed, here women also cheek to cheek kiss between them, didn't think about that. But man to man never. Unless, like the Master says, they are gay I guess.

Last edited:

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some people do, it's not very common, but I don't think anyone would think it's weird. Just not many people do it. I've seen (non Hispanic or Italian) women doing it to women and men doing it to women, but never men doing it to men.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Occassionally a couple girls might do it, and maybe a guy and girl who are good friends. But it's fairly rare. You'll NEVER see guys do it here, unless they're gay I suppose.

00Kevin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They do but only with their ass cheeks

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea, they do it in my old country too.... I usually put my cheek against theirs and "kiss the air"

I don't want their slober on me, and they don't want mine on them.

ExploringOne

Don Juan
Reaction score
Americans as a rule tend to require much more personal space, then is common in other cultures. I personally like my space too :box:

Still, I have found the cheek to cheek thing to be quite common, although admittedly I do tend to be around europeans alot.

I really hated visiting certain countries. The idea of personal space just doesn't exist there... and maybe I'm weird, but unless it's an attractive girl, I don't want anybody closer then 12 inches to me. Close talkers... beware :down:

Arky

Don Juan
Reaction score
In Italy it's very common to greet like that, even male to male.