Do long distance relationships actually work...........?

alexafcw

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thinking ahead here I know, but from september onwards my girlfriend will still be at university and I'll be working in another city. The distance is approx 2 and a half hours on the train. Just wondering if a relationship can actually work like that? I know from friends and other people at uni whose got g/fs/ b/fs back at home etc and travel or they travel to see them on the weekends. So it can work although I know other people who eventually split up. However from what i'm right in thinking with regards to the Don Juan philosophy, perhaps long distance relationships are ideal in many ways due to the fact they you can't see your g/f every minute of the day and thus turn into a wuss. You have to get on with your own life and spend time apart thus meaning it can keep the relationship very much alive and kicking. What do you guys think about this topic? I remember there was written article about only seeing your g/f once a week i don't think that is right but it sort of relates and perhaps could do the relationship good!

Anyway i'd appreciate your replys,

Thanks

Keeper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, long distance can work. As long as you don't wimp out.

It's VERY easy to become needy in LDR. If you don't see your girl for a certain length of time, you start missing her, and whatever you had going with her. This can make you feel very insecure. What you need to understand: be a REAL man. Sure, it's nice to have all that close stuff everyday, but you don't NEED it.

And make sure you keep showing her you're confident/in control. :)

superchristx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in an OLTR (open) and you know, its pretty solid actually. I very rarely see my honey, and the last two visits (there have only been two) she had various poossy problems that prevented sex. But I didn't get upset because the relationship is open and I'm getting ltos of good sex.

emotions are a problem for me, becoming interested in a woman is a killer, because then she can do things that make me sad, insecure, or piss me off or whatever. With a OLTR, I am emotionally vested in a woman that is 100 miles away and ****ing women here with no emotion whatsoever. I have no qualms with dropping a girl in DC because I have no feelings for her. Strangely, doing a softie AFC thing like keeping a hopeless LTR has actually turned me into a vicious lady killer. Basically this situation not only works for me, it has helped me to distinguish between love and sex.

- It must be open
- It must be healthy and drama free
- She needs to be far enough away that you can emotionally separate when she's gone.

Bobbles

Don Juan
Reaction score
The point about LDR's is that because you aren't seeing each other every couple of days or so and everything becomes a bit harder and a lot more effort, you have to make a long term decision as well as a long distance decision.

Believe me if you aren't, she is thinking is this guy actually worth putting the large amount of effort into travelling to see him. The relationship no longer becomes just about having fun now, but about keeping things going for the future when you will be able to see each other more.

How much do you want her to be around in your future, and how much does she want you around in her future?

If you both really want it and are prepared to put more effort into each other then it will work. If she is looking for a way out, it will be very easy for her to find it in this situation.

insanity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
from the sidelines, i've actually never seen love stand the test of time in a LDR.
especially when it comes to one going to university and the other working.
she's up there, your down here, over the course of time people just drift apart.

take highschool sweethearts. they've been together since jurnior high. and now that their both going to different universities, one might stay faithful while the other goes out and has a goodtime. eventually they might meet someone and thats when it ends.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First off, why do you even have a girlfriend at your age? If you're entering college you shouldn't even be considering monogamy with anyone. Period.

That said, it's time to let go of your invisible friend

There is no such thing as an LDR, because you have no relationship. An LDR simply does not meet the criteria necessary for it to be considered a relationship. There is no reciprocity of anything more than words passing over a phone line or an IM text. Understand me here – you have no relationship. You have self-assumed accountability, self-assumed liability and internalized responsibilities to be loyal to this person, to fidelity to this idealization, and dropping what everyone outside of your LDR will regularly tell you is insanity, is a personal affront and anathema to this stupid and most insidious form of ONEitis.

LDRs are the most easily identifiable form of ONEitis and it would be laughable if it weren't so damaging to a guy's life progression. The LDR man would sacrifice years of his life in this pitiable effort to pursue his 'soulmate' across the planet or even a hundred miles away. The very thought of refuting the idea that an LDR can work is equal to denying his belief this stupid, fantasized ONEitis fueled idealization that he's swallowed for the better part of his life. It’s easy to criticize an LDR in the terms of questioning either party's earnestness and fidelity in entertaining an LDR and this is usually the tact that most people giving advice on LDRs follow. One or both parties are or will 'cheat' on the other over the course of time, its true, but LDRs are far more telling of a mentality that results in much more damaging consequences as a result of deeply conditioned self-expectations and fears.

I can't begin to list the number of otherwise intelligent and ambitious men I’ve known who've drastically altered the course of their lives to follow their ONE. Men who've changed their majors in college, who've selected or switched universities, men who've applied for jobs in states they would never have considered, accepted jobs that are sub-standard to their ambitions or qualifications, men who've renounced former religions and men who've moved across the planet all in an effort to better accommodate an idealized woman with whom they've played pseudo-boyfriend over the course of an LDR only to find that she wasn't the person they thought she was and were depressive over the gravity that their decisions played in their lives.

An LDR is akin to an LJBF, but writ large and festering in a man's life. You play surrogate boyfriend, voluntarily accepting and internalizing all of the responsibilities and accountabilities of being a woman's exclusive, monogamous partner with no expectation of reciprocating intimacy or sexuality. It is the ideal situation for a woman in the same manner a Booty Call is for a man - all sex with no expectations of monogamy or commitment. However an LDR is worse than a LJBF arrangement since it pervasively locks a man into a success or failure mentality with regards to the relationship actually being legitimate. Afterall, she's agreed to be his girlfriend (from miles away) and if he's the one to falter it's his lack of perseverance in this silly ONEitis ego-investment that dooms them. Once the LDR inevitably ends he's the one left with the self-doubt, he's the one beating himself up over wasting time, money and effort and he's the one feeling guilty whether he or she is the 'cheater'.

An LDR is like having an invisible friend with whom you're constantly considering the course of your actions with. Consider the personal, romantic, familial, educational, ambition-wise, business-wise, personal maturity and growth opportunities that you've limited yourself from or never had a chance to experience because of this invisible friend. When you finally divorce yourself from this invisible friend, will it have all been worth it? Guys cling to LDRs because they've yet to learn, in POOK's inimitable words, that Rejection is better than Regret. AFCs will nurse along an LDR for years because it seems the better option when compared with actually going out and meeting new women who are potential rejection. They think its better to stick with the 'sure thing' than risk possible rejection, but it's the long term regret that is the inevitable result of an LDR that is life damaging. Nothing reeks of desperation or verifies a lack of confidence more than a guy who self-righteously proclaims he's in an LDR and how his is different from anyone elses. Women see you coming a mile off, because you are a guy without options. In fact the only reason a man entertains an LDR is due to a lack of options. If you had more plates spinning an LDR would never look like a good idea.

And finally, I'm sure I'll see the "not in my case" defense posted here about how you actually DO see your invisible friend once every 4 or six months. To this I'll say again, what opportunities are you censoring yourself from experiencing by playing house with a woman you only see this often? Do you honestly think you're the exception to the rule? I'm sure you do.

resilient

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Listen to Rollo T, he set my mind straight with LDRs! Personally, I'd never venture in one again as my ex slept with another guy at least once during our 5 month period (2.5 which was spent daily in Europe until returning to the states). I'd have to hear about the 1,000 guys calling her up to "hang out" all the time, which she would for being an attention w**** as well as see a string of SMS from various exes (huge head-ache). Anyway, good luck though...