Did I handle this correctly?

Xenon

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is going to sound dumb, but it's been bothering me.

Last night I was talking to my gf of 6 months. Without too much detail, she disagreed with a point I was making by saying "well you're pathetic" (she was pissed).

I blew this off and kept on going and acted like this didn't bother me, but it obviously did. Should I have been more forceful here and said "don't say that to me again" etc, or did I do ok in ignoring it? Will this set a bad precedent for the future and have her think she can say whatever she wants and get away with it? Mind you, this was the first time in the entire 6 months that she actually said anything derogatory at me at all. Thanks for the advice.

yougottaknow90

Don Juan
Reaction score
Xenon said:
This is going to sound dumb, but it's been bothering me.

Last night I was talking to my gf of 6 months. Without too much detail, she disagreed with a point I was making by saying "well you're pathetic" (she was pissed).

I blew this off and kept on going and acted like this didn't bother me, but it obviously did. Should I have been more forceful here and said "don't say that to me again" etc, or did I do ok in ignoring it? Will this set a bad precedent for the future and have her think she can say whatever she wants and get away with it? Mind you, this was the first time in the entire 6 months that she actually said anything derogatory at me at all. Thanks for the advice.
You did fine. Don't show a reaction to petty things like that. Don't let her know it bothered you. Just continue being assertive/dominant in other facets of the relationship i.e your verbal + body language.

Also woulda been jokes if you responded, "I must be if I'm dating you".

Greasy Pig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yougottaknow90 said:
Also woulda been jokes if you responded, "I must be if I'm dating you".
Classic. Agree and amplify, agree and amplify, agree and amplify. Say this over and over in your head until it becomes second nature.