Dating is REALLY going to suck around here for awhile now!

Schwing

Banned
Reaction score
I live in an area that was in the eyewall of Ian. I mean dead center of it! Already the oldest area of the United States, but Ian took out Ft. Myers beach, and surrounding areas like mine that didn't get storm surge got wind damage. Lots of damage to homes. Lots of restaurants, bars destroyed. I woudn't be shocked with the high insurance rates to come that young people simply move out of FL now.

But Ft. Myers beach is demolished. Think of the MS coastline after Katrina. Everything wiped out. Most spring breakers and young people will go up to St. Pete now. Will take at least 2 years to get it built up.

I imagine a lot of waitresses will be heading out too since nowhere to work. Coastline of Naples, Ft. Myers Beach the hot spots wiped out.

The economy is going to suck too locally. Service based sector and no season coming up now. Anyone who worked on Ft. Myers beach and made their bank from Nov to April is really screwed.

Reaction score
That's sad to hear. I've never been to that part of Florida, but I'm sure it was beautiful. I would say that it would rebuild, but just building cities that close to the gulf coastline are definitely questionable right now.

Schwing

Banned
Reaction score
That's sad to hear. I've never been to that part of Florida, but I'm sure it was beautiful. I would say that it would rebuild, but just building cities that close to the gulf coastline are definitely questionable right now.
I will rebuild but take a couple years. Lets say in three months they open the beach to the public. Will be nowhere to eat or drink, no pier. Basically just sit there.

FL from Venice to Marco Island is really banged up right now but the coastal areas are going to have a localized depression since they rely on the winter season and tourist. Especially Ft. Myers beach, Naples, Sanibel Island.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Isn't this the oldest median age area in the country?

Dragonfly

Banned
Reaction score
It is where The Golden Girls and the movie Cocoon was filmed.

Florida will rebuild especially any costal areas, it is all big money there.
If you want to build a life in that region in the long haul, stay and help rebuild and live through it to tell the tale.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most spring breakers and young people will go up to St. Pete now.
Tampa/St. Pete was also hard hit by the hurricane.

Naples is in Collier County, FL, where the median age is 52. Fort Myers is in the more populated Lee County, where the median age is 48.

I can't imagine why 18-25 year old spring breakers would go to an area where the median age person is around age 50.

The dating market in Naples/Fort Myers is more of the Match/OurTime crowd. Those would be the people most affected by the post hurricane dating market, not a 37 year old going for 25-35 year olds.

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not really

I live in an area that was in the eyewall of Ian. I mean dead center of it! Already the oldest area of the United States, but Ian took out Ft. Myers beach, and surrounding areas like mine that didn't get storm surge got wind damage. Lots of damage to homes. Lots of restaurants, bars destroyed. I woudn't be shocked with the high insurance rates to come that young people simply move out of FL now.

But Ft. Myers beach is demolished. Think of the MS coastline after Katrina. Everything wiped out. Most spring breakers and young people will go up to St. Pete now. Will take at least 2 years to get it built up.

I imagine a lot of waitresses will be heading out too since nowhere to work. Coastline of Naples, Ft. Myers Beach the hot spots wiped out.

The economy is going to suck too locally. Service based sector and no season coming up now. Anyone who worked on Ft. Myers beach and made their bank from Nov to April is really screwed.
Life will go on. You have to think more positive and more creative than that. You have a shared experience, now is a good time to make new friends and find new things to do.

EyeOnThePrize

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not really
I guess I was wrong there. Anyway, more spring breakers went to Tampa/St. Pete anyway than Naples/Ft. Myers. The median age in Hillsborough County (Tampa) is lower than Lee or Collier Counties (Naples & Ft. Myers). Median age in Pinellas County (St. Pete) is similar to Lee County.

Schwing

Banned
Reaction score

Naples is in Collier County, FL, where the median age is 52. Fort Myers is in the more populated Lee County, where the median age is 48.

I can't imagine why 18-25 year old spring breakers would go to an area where the median age person is around age 50.

The dating market in Naples/Fort Myers is more of the Match/OurTime crowd. Those would be the people most affected by the post hurricane dating market, not a 37 year old going for 25-35 year olds.
Tampa didn't get hit hard. Just wind gusts into the 60s. Life is normal up there. South of BRadenton got hit harder, especially Venice on South.

And that's kinda incorrect. Sure, it's old folks land but Ft. Myers beach, downtown Ft. Myers is where the few young locals hangout at go on dates etc. The beaches by me the young people are mainly the high school aged girls, way too young (and illegal in FL.)

Downtown Ft. Myers got storm surge as well being on the river and ruined stuff.

Most of the restaurants, date spots south of Punta Gorda near the beach no longer exist. Gone.

I would think also girls in their 20s and 30s who are waiters will also have to move since everything got trashed that had surge. Ft. Myers beach will take at least 2 years.