Creed's workout log

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score
So starting my log today after my first workout on a new routine.

I've been working out casually for a year and then had a month layoff. So in starting a new routine I'm hoping to get some decent strength/size gains. Last week I did a moderate intensity 5 day split just to get the muscles used to working again. (The DOMS in my legs was insane, looked like I was walking with Big Ben up my arse:moon: )

So todays (07.04.08) workout.

Squats 3x4---65kg (143lb) First time doing these so wasn't confident on technique, did a lot of warmup sets for this. Ass to grass.
Leg press 3x8---140kg (308lb)
Leg curls 3x5---50kg (110lb)
leg extensions 3x5---50kg (110lb)

Bench 2x4, 1x3---62.5kg (137.5lb)
Decline 3x5---50kg
*Edit*DB Incline 3x15 dropsets starting at 18kg
Dips 3x5---70kg (154lb) Just my own body weight

Last edited:

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Workout A

3x3 Squat
legs-curls, presses, Extensions
3x3 Bench
Chest- Dips (Arnold says so!! ),Incline, decline, cable crossover

Workout B

3x3 Deads
Hyperextension
3x3 Pullups
Lat Pulldowns, BB rows
abs

alternating workouts monday wednesday friday

I'm gonna stay off isolation for a bit

Did Squats first, does it make a difference? I'm used to squatting on a smith so wasn't too confident on technique. Hopefully the numbers should fly up soon.
What other exercises can I do for my back on workout B. Its looking a bit slim in variety

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can try seated rows, chin ups, different grips (close/wide/normal) pulldown and pullups, and one-hand row. To be honest, your back routine seems fine as far as variety is concerned. Concentrate on your numbers. They seem a little low for someone your size.

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know that I'm not eating enough.
A normal day consists of:
Breakfast-bowl of cereal
Lunch- 2 sandwiches
8 eggs( PWO)
Snacking throughout the day fruit, yoghurt, cookies anything really.maybe 2-3 pieces per day, chocolate when it takes my fancy but this is not often.
Dinner- Some meat with starchy carb source, 1 green veg and 1 coloured veg.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably not eating enough calories and protein in general. Get 250g+ protein and 3200 calorie, see what happens to your weight, and go from there

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know, I must eat more!!

Whats the general opinion on chicken liver?

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20Al.html

It packs more protein per 100g than steak does and its about 1/5 of the price.
I know its high in cholesterol but I read somewhere on this board that that really isn't a problem (think it was a post by WBA)

So I'm wondering are there any long term risks involved in eating large amounts of liver? Anybody know?

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
big muscles...your only 20 years old dude. Unless you have some sort of high cholesterol don't worry about it. You don't have to eat like this your entire life. When you are young your body can take some punishment

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score

Forgot to bring my notebook so this is what I can remember.

Deadlift 3x3 105kg
hyperextension 3x10 for back and each side with 10kg plate.

Pullups 3x5 bodyweight
Lateral pulldowns
BB rows 3x10 roughly 20kg

My lower back is tired after the deadlifts but my legs are feeling perfectly fine. Watched some proper technique vids on youtube and it mentioned pushing through my heels and bringing the bar up along my shins and thighs. I found myself pushing through the middle of my feet. Next workout i will wear tracksuit bottoms instead of shorts. See how that goes.

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score

Squat 2x4--70kg, 1x5--80kg
Leg press 3x10--155kg
Leg curls 3x5--125lb
Leg ext. 3x5--125lb

Bench 3x5--65kg although I did not lower the bar enough. Spotter had to help for the last 3 reps
Dips 3x5--bodyweight
Incline BB 3x5--50kg

Chest: 37.5 inches
Arms: 13.75 inches (both)

My weight has gone up a bit about 1kg. Probably fat on my ass.

In terms of food I'm slamming down 8 eggs and 200g of liver everyday and Peanut butter sandwiches which is about 100g protein on top of what I normally eat.

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score

Deadlift 3x3 110kg
hyperextension 3x10 for back and each side with 15kg plate.

Pullups 3x5 bodyweight
Lateral pulldowns
BB rows 3x10 30kg

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like it!

For leg work something like this would be a bit better I reckon:

Squats 2 x 5
Squats 1x 15-20 (lighter weight) (IF you aren't fit do leg press)
Good Mornings or Stiff Leg Deadlifts or Sumo Leg Press 2 x 10-15
Glute Ham Raise or Pullthroughs 2 x 8

This is basically what is in the "Where to Start" thread without the calf raises, which you can do if you want its just with bench work the session is going to become pretty lengthy.

If you do that take 10 minutes between the set of 15-20 on squats and the next exercise.

And I would do your bench work first, it will have a lot less impact on squats than doing squats first would have on bench.

As for the liver, I say give it a shot and if it works great!

Keep it up.

PS-Are the lateral pulldowns like this roughly: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBFrontPulldown.html

I don't think you really need them...

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score

I was feeling weak today. A combination of not having enough carbs the night before (and crap carbs at that) since I work out in the mornings and also not drinking enough water the day before. So i decided todays workout would be more to do with testing to see if i had gotten any stronger on some of my rep maxes.

Bench 1x10,1x9,1x6--60kg My previous best on this weight was 8,6,2 reps so im happy with the improvement so far. A small victory! Think i couldve got 3x10 if I was properly energised.
DB inclines 3x5--18kg dropsets I felt so weak doing these its hardly worth mentioning. I used the 20kg BB as my one of my lighter weights and i struggled a bit.
BB declines 3x10--50kg Nothing special to note, felt ok
Dips 4x10--15kg assist. Again felt so weak couldn't do a single one without assist.
Squats 2x3,1x2--80kg Yep I failed embarassingly on the last rep. My ass was on the grass and it stayed there lol. I couldn't get up and eventually someone had to help me. Its good to know that there are good people out there.
More squats in place of leg press. 2x10--50kg Took Quagmires advice becuase leg press really didn't feel like it was doing anything for me even at heavy weights.
Calf raises 3x20--50kg. I am right in assuming that calf muscles are those slow twitch type? and so respond better to high rep ranges?
Leg ext. 1x10--35kg This is a major drop from last week but im not too worried becuase it was after i did all those squats.
Leg curls 2x3-77kg. Last exercise thought id try and squeeze something out from deep inside of me lol. Did 1RM of the WHOLE STACK. Then did the 2x3@77

So a mixed workout today. Weight is a steady 158lb

Lat pulldowns I find them useful becuase i cant quite complete a full rep on pullups. Basicly I can't pinch my shoulder blades together which I can do on the pull downs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTKq2VCTz4
I follow this to the T except for the rep ranges.
Also do some sets behind the neck.

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Uni exams on the horizon. I am afraid i will have to put training on hold for about a month. I have to admit to myself that starting this month was a really stupid choice and I think that a part of me wanted to procrastinate from studying. After exams are over and I have money I PROMISE (to myself as much as anything) I will be back.
In the meantime how should I be eating? Just maintenance calories or above maintenance to bulk up? and how much protein?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eat around maintenance and keep protein at 1.5g per pound of bw.

Try and do some conditioning work so that when you hit the weights you are in good shape.

Good luck.

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score
Woot Im back on the circuit.
Exams sucked before anybody asks so you dont have to waste one of your posts.
I havent been doing any sort of exercise for basicly the last 4 weeks, as i really didn't have time. Went to gym yesterday for first time and weighed myself.Ive gained 1Kg of pure fat in this time and so im pretty annoyed. So I'll be cutting out carbs from my evening meal and just loading up on meat and veggies. I did that last night ,it gave me some stomach problems. I also had a really lucid, meaningful dream which I remembered fully upon waking. And i woke up feeling like !@#$. What happened to me? I this what you call ketosis?
How many carbs should I be having before the cut off point? Ill be going back to my routine soon and im dreading seeing what strength i've lost.

Creed

Don Juan
Reaction score

squats-3x5@80kg
seated leg press-3x5@155kg
Leg curls- 3x10@50kg
Did some calves too.
Bench- 1x8,1x6,1x3@60 have definitely gotten weaker
DB inclines-3x10@20kg
Bodyweight dips.
Flat DB flies