Creatine....

SpeedStick

Don Juan
Reaction score
I searched this board for info on creatine and got a whole bunch of results about all sorts of things.... I was just wondering how effective creatine is for building muscle mass on a skinny guy like me (140 lbs)...

I've read in a couple of places that all it does is increase water retention in your muscles and that this doesn't really increase your strength. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to any sort of supplement, so some answers from people who have tried creatine before would be appreciated.

Thanks,.........

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used it for quite a while, but it was pretty useless for me. And from what I've read on such boards for a lot of other guys, too.

Plus it seems to me that you're making a typical mistake of somebody who's just getting started. You hear about supplements like creatine and think it might help you put on a lot of weight. All that creatine or any other supplement can possibly do is increase your gains by a few or so percent, but it's nothing else but a SUPPLEMENT. I understand how many starters get the idea that creatine is something like a magic pill that will really boost ur muscle gains, but it really doesn't.

If u're a skinny guy the most important thing for you to do is to eat more calories than you burn. It's all about calories. Skinny guys only are skinnier because they burn more calories than other ppl, thus they would have to get (a lot) more calories than other ppl in order to gain weight. Do some reading up. but this is key.

Plus u need more protein than u need to maintain ur body weight..how much more is a popular subject that anybody will tell u somethign different about so u have to see for urself.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Plus I wouldnt take creatine again, because ppl tell u there are no side effects to it and that creatine is in your body anyways, but thats not really an argument, because theres lots of stuff in your body 'anyways' but if u got a way too high dose of it it could (Im not saying it IS im saying it CAN) be harmful. The amount of nicotine in a cigarette doesnt do ur body any harm really either, but if u took way too much nicotine at once u'd still die. Plus there haven't been any long term studies on creatine so nobody knows if it has any negative side-effects or not in the long run. So just technically it could increase your risk of cancer or some other disease that takes a long while to be generated, for example.

I'm not saying creatine IS harmful, actually I guess it isn't, but anybody who says they know for sure that it is not are liars imo.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally creatine didn't do much at all for me, even though my diet was good and my lifting was heavy.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not everyone responds to creatine, but I only really think it helps significantly when you're pushing your limits anyway (much like my view on steroids, but I AM NOT SAYING CREATINE IS A STEROID).

At your current weight I'm thinking it'd be a waste of money. Buy food instead!

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, when I first used creatine, I put on 2 kilos in under a couple of weeks, water weight, and the lifts went up.

But the advice here is solid...

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Creatine will help you somewhat to get more muscle if you eat good and lift heavy. Seems like many people do not experience so much effect from creatine. Personally I think it's due to drinking too little water for the creatine to be properly absorbed.

Blue Phoenix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is surprising to me. I have a very good relationship with creatine! :)

It gives me more stamina which means I can work out with heavier weights and I also work out for a longer time. Another thing is that I take small doses of creatine during two months. For example, I take one capsule 30 minutes before working out. It's a "wonder drug" for me.

However, I just get ripped and not big which is my goal. For that, you need a lot of calories, proteins, foods in general. Creatine didn't make me gain considerable weight though.

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SpeedStick
I searched this board for info on creatine and got a whole bunch of results about all sorts of things.... I was just wondering how effective creatine is for building muscle mass on a skinny guy like me (140 lbs)...

I've read in a couple of places that all it does is increase water retention in your muscles and that this doesn't really increase your strength. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to any sort of supplement, so some answers from people who have tried creatine before would be appreciated.

Thanks,.........
your body converts all energy into atp before using it.

In short, creatine is what your muscles use to quickly change ADP back into ATP in times of need.

Getting more simply allows you to sustain a high level of energy for a longer time, hence its benefits range from lifting weights to sprinting.

obviosuly extra water is used to keep a balance of electrolytes and water in your muscles as compared outside them.