Considering to buy some gun for self defence

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im quite new to guns and surely not informed about it as many guys here.

Just wondering what should I know about the guns which fit more in terms of home defence, some talk about pistols while others about rifles and some even about knifes and melee weapons.

Right now Im living in an urban setting but considering to buy a house in the country side since living in the center is getting too stressful and expensive and the communication ways with the outside are improved.

Keep in mind I live in Europe and there is no chance in hell I could legally get a full auto gun.

Also a noob question, is the same rifle able to shot single shot or fragments according to the ammo you use? or every rifle is made for a different type?

Last edited:

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it's strictly for your house, I recommend a 12 gauge shotgun. I have a Remington myself. I also recommend a 40 or 45 caliber pistol to keep in your car if you want to go that route. Springfield makes good guns and you can't go wrong with a Glock.

I personally don't carry a gun on my person. I'm pretty aware of my surroundings as it is, and it's just uncomfortable.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Who Dares Win said:
Im quite new to guns and surely not informed about it as many guys here.

Just wondering what should I know about the guns which fit more in terms of home defence, some talk about pistols while others about rifles and some even about knifes and melee weapons.

Right now Im living in an urban setting but considering to buy a house in the country side since living in the center is getting too stressful and expensive and the communication ways with the outside are improved.

Keep in mind I live in Europe and there is no chance in hell I could legally get a full auto gun.

Also a noob question, is the same rifle able to shot single shot or fragments according to the ammo you use? or every rifle is made for a different type?
I agree with speed dawg. A shotgun is very good for home defense. Very easy to use and very powerful.

I have to go to a class now. I'll get to your question later or somebody else can answer.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I need a shotgun, I also need a 357 magnum handgun

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fatal Jay said:
I need a shotgun, I also need a 357 magnum handgun
I have a mossberg and a s&w .357 revolver. They are great guns.

I agree with the advice to get a 12 guage. You want the tactical kind, with the shorter barrel. 18 inches is the shortest barrel allowed in the US. My Mossberg is an 18.5" I also put a custom stock on mine; it's pistol grip, but a full stock at the same time, looks like an AR-15 stock. The tiny pistol grip stocks can break a wrist. A 12 guage kicks hard, and you learn quickly to have it pressed into your shoulder when you fire, or else it hurts like hell.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Man if I lived in America I would have a turret on top of my house with a HMG attached to it. I would have a M41A Pulse Rife in two places in my house... or live in a tank or APC though and it would have barb wire all around it. My front yard would be covered in land mines and I'd have drones flying around the 'airspace' above my house. There would be at least two guard dogs and a moat with a hungry shark.

I'm glad I don't live in the USA.

Just a few specs on the M41A:

Lightweight and rugged, the M41 is constructed largely from ultra-light alloy precision metal stampings, with a titanium aluminide alloy outer casing and high-impact, temperature resistant plastics for many of its internal parts.[1] The M41A is fully sealed against corrosion, dirt and moisture and its electronics are hardened against TREE and background radiation, making it perfectly usable even in a vacuum.[2] By itself the rifle weighs only 3.2 kg, although this increases to 4.9 kg when including the sling and fully-loaded magazine, and is built around a 24.7 cm long barrel.[3]

The M41A uses an electronic pulse action to fire, controlled directly from the trigger. The internal mechanism, including the rotating breech, is mounted on free-floating rails within a carbon-fiber jacket and the entire assembly is recoil dampened to reduce the effects of muzzle climb during burst and fully-automatic fire.[1] Even so, the weapon's recoil is fairly significant.[4] A thumb selector allows the firer to switch between selective, four-round burst or fully automatic firing modes.[1] In the event of a stoppage, a manual ****ing handle on the right hand side of the receiver allows the user to check for rounds in the chamber or clear the breech in the event of a stoppage. The standard M41A ammunition magazine stores 99 rounds in a 'U' bend conveyor. Rounds are fed mechanically into the weapon's rotating breech.[1] While the magazine weighs 1.5 kg when fully loaded,[3] standard practice is to only fill it to 95% capacity (95 rounds) to prevent jamming.[1]

The M41A usually mounts the underbarrel U1 Grenade Launcher,[5] comprising a barrel, breech and four-round internal magazine, fired using a trigger just in front of the rifle magazine, the housing for which doubles as a grip during grenade firing. While this launcher was integral to initial versions of the rifle, later models (specifically the M41A MK2) featured a modular system that allowed the launcher to be swapped out for a different unit at the user's discretion.[6] Grenades must be hand-loaded into the launcher's four-round magazine, which are then loaded into the breech and primed to fire from a pump action.[1]

Sighting is made down a groove in the top of the carrying handle, with an adjustable tangent leaf backsight in the rear aperture. The rifle can also be fitted with a 3x power AN/RVS-52 CCD television sight to allow for accuracy at range and under low light conditions.[1] A spring-loaded extendible stock allows the gun to be used in either a carbine or rifle format while an LED ammunition counter display just below the receiver informs the user of the remaining ammunition supply at a glance; this display can be dimmed for night operations. The carrying handle also contains the gun's Lithium battery; providing power for motor mechanism it is good for 10,000 rounds before requiring recharge from a rifle rack or portable power pack.[1]

The number of vent holes on the M41A's barrel has also varied. Usually there are eight of them,[4][7][8] but models have also been seen with ten,[4] nine[9][10] or five holes.[11]

switch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
visit goundra's ammumation or beter twentee's gun house.
Goundra divorced twentee a while back,and they operate separately now.

Twentee has excellent short ranged rifles that pack a LOT of heat.smuggling and fake licenses are included.
Goundra has gone into a depression bcuz he still has oneitis for twentee,when not scheming to drop kick twentees bf,he sells a variety of .22 pistoles.he delivers them by charging 10 feet in 1 second.

Anyway The best defence is a good dog + a colt 1911.
Discreet but effective.

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree with the pump shotgun crowd, best inside home defense weapon hands down, and also the cheapest.

InnerHappiness

Don Juan
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 and a Glock 19. I agree that a 40/45 will provide necessary stopping power, but getting consecutive accurate shots from a 9mm could be the difference between life and death. When sh!t hits the fan and you are in danger, you aren't thinking of precision on that first shot. Rate of accurate fire is much more important than stopping power in an emergency situation.

A rifle shouldn't be considered an option for home defense, unless in the case of a zombie apocalypse. If your state allows it, a semi or full auto shotgun are much better home defense options.

the_stig

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Shotgun is not the best home defense weapon. It's rather unwieldy and you'll be getting almost no spread at such close quarters, so it'll be more like shooting a rifle or slug. Not to mention trying to reload in a stressful situation or the dark can pose an additional challenge.

I'd recommend - hands down - an AK pattern assault rifle or an M4 carbine or similar. 30 round mag, semi-auto, almost no recoil with the .223 round, collapsible stock, loads of accessories (flash light, laser sights, etc) will pretty much level the playing field against anything the bad guy's got.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedbacks guys, I appreciate it.

Just a further question, many rifles I can buy have by law a limited number of ammo (from 5 to 10), do you know if there they are structurally different from other rifles or given a longer magazine depot it can easilly be put in the same rifle?

I was considering to buy this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

Im linking wiki since I dont know the forum rules regarding sites selling guns.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The AR-15 is essentially the same as the M16, which is the rifle the Army uses. They are transitioning to the M4 now, but the transition is not complete. The Army taught us that the M16 was designed to wound more so than it was to kill. The bullets are very small. The gun itself feels like a plastic pistol with a long barrel. The military strategy was that a wounded man, or at least one who died slowly, was more trouble for the enemy than a quick kill. That was during the Vietnam era, so maybe they were thinking of jungle warfare.

There is a big difference between stopping power and killing power. Smaller calibers of ammo will poke a lot of tiny holes in a person, which makes them bleed out and die, but it takes at least a few seconds for that to happen, which is enough time for them to inflict a serious wound of their own on you. Military rifles are not exactly designed for close quarters one on one combat, or at least the ones civilians are allowed to buy. SWAT teams have some tiny assault rifles now, but they are deadly because they're full auto. Police Officers are armed more with the thought of defending themselves against attacks by random maniacs, and they love their shotguns. I've always seen 12-guages mounted on the center of the front seat, and never an assault rifle.

The pattern of a shotgun depends on the type of shell you shoot. With a smaller shot and an 18" barrel, from across a small room the pattern is about the size of a refrigerator. But the most popular defense round is .00 buck, and the pattern on that is much closer to the size of a softball than a major kitchen appliance. It's easy to miss. I actually put a laser sight on my Mossberg, mostly for the intimidation effect. I thought anyone I pointed it at would run away in fear, and that's a lot better than having to kill somebody.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just FYI, one of the reason shotguns are preferred over rifles for home defense is that when you shoot a high powered rifle, there is a lot better chance of the bullet going through the victim and through a wall. This not only damages the house but can also result in the bullet hitting someone else in the house or someone outside of the house.

I know someone who shot a deer, the bullet went through the deer and into someone's garage, narrowly missing a guy who was working inside.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
zekko said:
Just FYI, one of the reason shotguns are preferred over rifles for home defense is that when you shoot a high powered rifle, there is a lot better chance of the bullet going through the victim and through a wall. This not only damages the house but can also result in the bullet hitting someone else in the house or someone outside of the house.

I know someone who shot a deer, the bullet went through the deer and into someone's garage, narrowly missing a guy who was working inside.
I'd be pretty pissed just to have shot holes through my house just because some stupid sh*t wanted my nonexistent LCD TV.

InnerHappiness

Don Juan
Reaction score
the_stig said:
Shotgun is not the best home defense weapon. It's rather unwieldy and you'll be getting almost no spread at such close quarters, so it'll be more like shooting a rifle or slug. Not to mention trying to reload in a stressful situation or the dark can pose an additional challenge.

I'd recommend - hands down - an AK pattern assault rifle or an M4 carbine or similar. 30 round mag, semi-auto, almost no recoil with the .223 round, collapsible stock, loads of accessories (flash light, laser sights, etc) will pretty much level the playing field against anything the bad guy's got.
Who Dares Win said:
Thanks for the feedbacks guys, I appreciate it.

Just a further question, many rifles I can buy have by law a limited number of ammo (from 5 to 10), do you know if there they are structurally different from other rifles or given a longer magazine depot it can easilly be put in the same rifle?

I was considering to buy this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

Im linking wiki since I dont know the forum rules regarding sites selling guns.
AR's are great for accuracy and mid-range (30M.) Almost all home defense scenarios are close quarters, less than 10M range. Your main objective is to cover that range with lethal force. The best weapon would be a shotgun, even if you don't lay your intruder on the first shot, he will be at a major disadvantage by the time you load another buckshot.

I don't own a shotgun, but for the security of injuring your target and immobilizing them, it's the best choice when you are not prepared. I currently am using a Glock 26 close by the bed so I can pick up and go with it. In my opinion, quick access and easy maneuverbility while putting shots in the general direction of danger works better than lining up the aim with a .45. I'm thinking about getting a CCW license, but I don't feel the need for it yet.

Before you do anything, grab a buddy and go to the range. Try out different calibers/guns and have a feel for what you are most comfortable with. If you aren't comfortable with the firearm, you shouldn't depend your life on it.

Vantagepoint34

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I keep a Franchi store owner on display. Also keep a nice peacemaker on display. But the only thing that gets some air once in a while is a P99

Albatross953

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree on the Remington 870. Easy to learn, and cheap, reliable. But educate yourself on safety, defense rights, and whether you actually need a gun. Store safely, and take good care of it.
I shoot trap and rifle targets. And I'd dial 911 if I could instead of killing someone.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What about a walther p1, a guy I know is getting one for himself which is still in the package despite being an old gun, its a stock sold from the germans which produced more than they needed.

Albatross953

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, haven't seen any of those. Whatever you get, get trained on it by a professional.