"Communication is very important in a relationship..."

DonJuanabe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times I've heard a girl say that as we begin dating. Until recently I always thought it meant that the girl would freely communicate with me in a straight-forward manner and we would always be free to discuss things. How many times have I had that assumption smashed into a wretched pile of an ended relationship with me thinking "What the F happened?"

Rollo has a good essay titled "The Medium is the Message".

In any case, what you need to understand is what a girl means when she says communication is important in a relationship. She means that guys have a great deal of difficulty figuring out her dialect of woman@se, what she is saying, or what she wants and that you are going to find out just how important it is to easily understand her or you are going to be exasperated. In other words, start learning her language or the relationship isn't going to work out. Got a problem with that? There are plenty of other guys who think they can deal with her code.

Examples?

Girl agrees to go to dinner and movie but, late afternoon, says she will be late because it's going to take her a while to get ready but we should be able to get to the movie before it starts and we can grab dinner afterward at the food court. I think okay, dinner and food court. I wear jeans and henley, she arrives dressed to kill at a 4-star restaurant. She frowns. After the movie we're eating in the food court and she mutters "Here we are at the mall on a Saturday night..."

99% of me says I did nothing wrong. 1% of me says if I had focused not on myself or on us, or on the activity, rather, focused on her exclusively (remember, women are solipsistic) I would have realized that her needing lots of time to get ready meant she didn't want to go to a movie and food court on Saturday night -- taking lots of time to get ready means she wants to go out to a nice restaurant.

Another example, in the beginning of a dating relationship with a girl we both agree to always talk about issues if they ever arise. Good communication is important. A few weeks later I sense something isn't right and I ask her. She refuses to talk. I press her saying we agreed to talk. She refuses to talk. I press her. She gets angry. The next day I tell her we should get together and talk. She says we're done because I don't respect her needs (she was an introvert) and am too pushy and have to be right all the time.

Anyone else?

Harry Wilmington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a good one:

A girl hits you up and asks if she can come over to your place for the night. You think to yourself, "Oh, cool, she wants to spend time with me at my place" and tell her she's free to come over.

Then, she asks you, "so, what are we going to do?"

A guy will usually think: "Well, if she's coming over here, the only things to do here are (a) eat, (b) watch movies, and (c) have sex." Which one of these do you think she wants to do?

If you answered (a), (b), or (c), guess what? She's NOT coming over now!

Why? It's a trick question. If a girl asks "so, what are we going to do," it means she wants to do more than just stay at home with you. She wants to go out. She wants to feel like more than your booty call, and she wants to feel like you're putting some thought and effort into being with her.

Yes, you will still be able to do (a), (b) and (c), but ONLY if you do (d) first, which is take her out someplace. It ain't gotta be fancy, but it's got to be someplace OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE.

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DonJuanabe said:
Girl agrees to go to dinner and movie but, late afternoon, says she will be late because it's going to take her a while to get ready but we should be able to get to the movie before it starts and we can grab dinner afterward at the food court. I think okay, dinner and food court. I wear jeans and henley, she arrives dressed to kill at a 4-star restaurant. She frowns. After the movie we're eating in the food court and she mutters "Here we are at the mall on a Saturday night..."
the minute she 'mutters' anything disdainfully...you get up politely turn around, pay for the meal....and leave without her.

i know you might think this is harsh..but pouting in anyway shape or form is NOT to be tolerated....you are just setting yourself up for much, much worse.

This is a hard road to travel because most hotties have the temperament of fever stricken toddlers and the maturity to match...but pouting is not to be tolerated....oh and 4 star restaurant? She better make the money to back up that lifestyle...my rule is 1 good dinner for every 7 nights of buttsecks so lube up biatch if you want that sushi. :rock:

Night-hawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo wrote about this in his new post, "Just Get It".

gpshields3 said:
Communication is for p*ssies.
:crackup:

DonJuanabe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And you know what, no matter how intelligent, nerdy, or analytical a girl is, she communicates the same way as a girl who isn't geeky or genius.

It's just a female thing.

StepItUp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Harry Wilmington said:
Here's a good one:

A girl hits you up and asks if she can come over to your place for the night. You think to yourself, "Oh, cool, she wants to spend time with me at my place" and tell her she's free to come over.

Then, she asks you, "so, what are we going to do?"

A guy will usually think: "Well, if she's coming over here, the only things to do here are (a) eat, (b) watch movies, and (c) have sex." Which one of these do you think she wants to do?

If you answered (a), (b), or (c), guess what? She's NOT coming over now!

Why? It's a trick question. If a girl asks "so, what are we going to do," it means she wants to do more than just stay at home with you. She wants to go out. She wants to feel like more than your booty call, and she wants to feel like you're putting some thought and effort into being with her.

Yes, you will still be able to do (a), (b) and (c), but ONLY if you do (d) first, which is take her out someplace. It ain't gotta be fancy, but it's got to be someplace OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE.
Smart guy, see some guys who are outgoing and don't want to be home for some reason pass that test without knowing it. Others want a root there and than fail it :eek:

pdx1138

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my last LTR, I remember telling her how awesome it was that we communicated well, and I encouraged her to speak up if any issues arose.

Then I realized it was I who was doing the communication.

She broke up with me over text messaging of all things. Said she was too much of a coward to tell me in person.

The fire i had for her had run its course at that point, but still, I was kinda pissed that she didn't communicate better.

your words are spot on DonJuanabe and it's the latest "lesson in women" for me.

"Deciphering womenspeak is very important in a relationship"