' Comedy writing secrets' Good read?

coldcoal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't read it, but writing comedy and learning how to be a funnier person are two very different things. If you're seeking the latter, I wouldn't look for it in a book. If you're seeking the former, well then I just don't know. Maybe someone else can help you out there.

Arroba

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've got it although I haven't read it completely.

So far it's got some great tips... and a lot of boring bla, bla, bla.

Basically it tells you to stop for a while and think about what could be funny about a photo, or a newspaper, or other item. Write all your ideas down, take the funniest, then structure them the best way.

I wouldn't buy it, I'm sure there're better books out there.

driveon

Don Juan
Reaction score
It'll show you how to write a joke, it won't make you funny.

I think being funny is a matter of being 100% confident and being around people who know and like you.

You can say some really funny things around people you don't know well and they won't laugh. You can also say some really lame stuff around people you know and get a laugh pretty easily.

It comes down to being confident enough to express your creativity around people.

The one iteresting part of that book was this: the basis of comedy is feeling superior to someone or something.

Oh yeah, one other thing he mentions is that people don't laugh at jokes so much as they laugh at characters. If people perceive you as a funny person, they will laugh at what you say. If people see you as something other than funny, they won't laugh as much - unless you have them under your thumb or something.

I don't know how to develop that character though.

iCY

Don Juan
Reaction score
comedy is about delivery; comedy is not about the words you use. therefore, learning to write comedy wont do you any good. see if you can find something on performing standup comedy or something of that sort. just listen and learn from actors, practice it on your own time.