Central chest area ?

AlexTheGreat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
How do you develop the central chest area ? I mean, my pecs are looking pretty good, but the sternum area is still bone-flat :rolleyes:

Which exercises should I do to fix that ? I want at least some muscle in there, not bones lol

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As the pectoral muscle fibres are horizontal, it is impossible to taget the middle of the chest - only the upper and lower sections.

Your best bet is to just keep hitting the bench press.

Alpha And Omega

Reaction score
Try a forward leaning dips, all the way downwards, and then all the way upwards while keep leaning forward.

For me it works better than any chest exercise.

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mrExtreme
They target the inner chest, which is what he is talking about.
Did you read my first post? No? Fantastic!

Have a look at the anatomy of the pecs.

You *cannot* target the center, period.

;)

So Alexthegreat, since the chest is at its "thinnest" (for lack of a better word) at the top, if you give some incline chest exercises a go, you should get a bit more fullness.

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While im at it, a mate has Bruce Lee pecs - the gap in the center is huge! Cant be fixed though, the muscles just dont reach the center. Looks kinda like 2 droopy tits hanging across his body :D .

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mr"extreme", probably the advice in this forum is horrible because you post here. as the relic already said the pectoralis is ONE muscle and not divided in upper and lower pecs. maybe you can improve the chest form a little bit with things like incline bench, but it is not proven. the form of the chest depends on genetics and the use of steroids.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there is no inner chest. just keep lifting, and as your pecs get bigger, they will take shape.