Case at school

BigD

Reaction score
At my high school, we're not allowed to use cellphones even during lunch. Well I was texting at lunch and I got my phone taken away. I understand that and I assume the responsibility for my actions.

The next day the supervisor talked me. I have an iPhone and I set a lock on it. He asked me for code to go through my phone. This really ticked me off and I told him it's none of his business. He now refuses to give my phone back. He wanted to look through my phone to go through my pictures and other things and it's a violation of my right to privacy.

What should I do in this situation? I'm not giving him my code and I will fight to have my phone back. I'd just like your opinion on this, thanks! By the way, I'm only 17 years old.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're 17 then you should just get your parents involved. Tell them you were wrong for having your phone out but that's not grounds for invasion of privacy. I'd be interested in knowing exactly why a faculty member needs to know what's on a student's cell phone. Unless you were phoning in a bomb threat or smuggling drugs, I'm hard pressed to come up with anything.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like theft to me. Call the police. If you make a big enough deal out of it and call the police, threaten legal action, etc, they'll probably give you the phone back to be on the safe side.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Talk to your parents.

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree with Crimson. Absolutely no grounds to ask for your password, and go through your phone. Thats actually ridiculous im pissed off just hearing that. As for getting your phone back i am unsure how long school can seize property. Especially something that expensive.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cr1msonKing said:
They have a rule banning cell phone use in school, he gets it taken away and its theft? I'm pretty sure they'd laugh in your face.

You do realize you have no rights at school?

Back pack checks, locker checks, their all well with in their rights.

But going through your phone, and asking for a code to go through the phone I'm sure is invasion of privacy, I would talk to someone higher up than the supervisor, principal, VP, your local education bureaucracy and see whats up.
Well if they're within their rights to search you and your locker, etc, how is that any worse than searching your phone? lol.

I think if the OP makes a huge deal out of this, calls the police, the school superintendent, etc. the school will just give him the phone back so they don't have to deal with it.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Well if they're within their rights to search you and your locker, etc, how is that any worse than searching your phone? lol.
The whole idea around school searches is to protect the students. They can search your lockers and gym bags in the event you are under the suspicion of something. Maybe you're planning to harm some one else in the school or you're a drug dealer or working for one. Unless you're under suspicion for something of that magnitude, there isn't really grounds to go through something as insignificant as a cell phone. The whole reason around students not having rights is the fact that you have a large population of people in one area and there are lots of things that can happen. The same would happen if you were in an office and people suspected you of something criminal only there are more formal measures to be taken as you're dealing with legal adults. Juveniles don't have a lot of rights so formalities can be waived.

This is clearly a case of someone in authority exerting their power without cause. Again the op should just tell mom and dad and the thing will be done.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't give in man. Security tried this on me once. Most high school security I've dealt with are power hungry people who try to control you and push you around for no reason. I remember security at my school would screw with random kids for no reason and just bother people who were walking around giving them a hard time.

Anyways, I was asked for my passcode on my phone and I said why they needed it and they said it was protocol. I said let me see this protocol or I'm not giving them anything. Then I was threatened with "disciplinary action" for not following protocol so I was scared as hell but told my parents about it and my dad came in and went ape sh1t and got my phone back in a few minutes. How did he do it? He skipped over the security punks and went straight to the top: principal. Principal didn't want any trouble and asked security to give the phone to him.

The next time something happened I learned from this and went to the principal directly myself when I had a grading error my english teacher wouldn't change that would've given me a full letter grade lower. Yeah man, dont' give in. That's unreasonable search if they want your password.