Butter or margarine?

BWSL2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've recently assumed grocery responsibilities in my house, and I was just curious-which is better for you, butter or margarine, and why?

Industry

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never been that anal to think about it but I usually buy the Country Crock. I would assume margarine is better for you but my reasons are nothing but my gut instinct.

Kwirk

Don Juan
Reaction score
I *think* that butter is better because margarine is extremely high in trans-fatty acids. I'm not sure which is better for you calorie or nutrition-wise, though...

Kevon

Don Juan
Reaction score
I cant believe its not better is pretty low in trans fat ie Men's Health

NMMWCR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I buy real butter.

Butter is a natural product that comes from a cow.

Margarine/vegetable oil products start out at as liquids at room temperature and have to be fully hydrogenated to make them solids. THAT MAKES MARGARINE A REFINERY PRODUCT! You might as well start adding antifreeze to diet.

I try to stay away from any foods that have been refined. White bread and white rice SUCK. They have been bleached destroying the nutrition and converting complex carbs to sugars. Ramen noodles are NOT pasta. That stuff is 15 seconds away from being sugar. By real whole grain, stone ground pasta, or learn to make your own. "Juiced drinks" like Hi-C and Sunny Dare scarcely better than cool-aid. They are largely corn syrup. Use real juice instead (from concentrate is fine.)

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Margirine is BAD for you, butter isn't exactly good for you, but you can digest it easier. As NMMWCR stated, margirine contains refined vegetable oils. They are super-heated & infused with hydrogen to make it hard. It changes the nature of the oil It's no longer an unsaturated fat...nor a saturated one. It's a trans-fat, which is totally alien to our body.

Personally, I use extra virgin olive oil for almost everything, including my breakfast toast.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CONAN
Hi,
Go To http://www.thedoctorwithin.com
And read the chapter, Magic bean "soytainly not"
Have your eyes opened
C
great article, bro! Give that to those patchouli-smelling tree huggers - maybe they'll STFU about all this soy bullshyt!!

Wishful thinking, I know!

As to the point of this thread: Margarine is a fukkin' abomination... Butter all the way!!

DarkfalconIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Land of Lakes Salted butter is da bomb.

Elimidate

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Give that to those patchouli-smelling tree huggers - maybe they'll STFU about all this soy bullshyt!!

LOL! Hell ya!

BUTTER ME UP AND THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS!

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DarkfalconIV
Land of Lakes Salted butter is da bomb.
Speaking as someone from the 'Land o'Lakes' (Minnesota), you are correct sir!!!

Butter is not as bad as margarine overall, but either should be eaten in moderation.

lynx

Don Juan
Reaction score
Two days ago, I read that butter is better than margarine. Don't eat lots of butter, though.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
butter tastes better and its better for you too.

but i use margarine occasionally when i scramble my eggs because it doesnt burn up like butter.

Kwirk

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
butter tastes better and its better for you too.

but i use margarine occasionally when i scramble my eggs because it doesnt burn up like butter.
When I pan fry things with butter I put a little bit of olive oil in the pan first...it really helps keep the butter from burning up too fast, and you don't need to use as much...give that a try.

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Butter by far

Especially organic, if you can get it. The hormones and antibiotics tend to go to the fat.

Trans fats are the worst. Saturated fats at least don't trick the body and deform the cells into which they're incorporated.