Brother in law question

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all, my mind is made up, so this is not an advice request, this is just to know your opinion. I already made the decision and communicated with her.

I have been with my girl for more than 2.5 years. I'm a very competent guy, who has learned a lot about computers, manual labor, cars, machines and everything in between. I had to do it to improve my quality of life, not to brag, just to let you know the type of guy I am. Naturally, I have developed some pride and values, I hold other people accountable to my own standards.

She has a brother (40 years old), whom I've helped him a lot, I've gotten many softwares for his business that cost more than $500 for around $20 bucks, I have stayed up late helping him with his business without asking for anything, I fixed his car that no mechanic wanted to do so he could sell it, without asking for anything. Cause honestly I don't need it, and I do like to help people and share my knowledge.

However, he has a photo on his fb of her ex and her without him, 6 months ago I told him that I have been brother-in-law for 2 years, and to me having a picture of her ex with her only on his fb to me is a disrespect and to her sister who is very happy with me, she even told him to delete it, but ever did. He has other pics with her ex and him but I don't really give a fvck about those.

I told to her that I think her brother does that cause of jealousy and envy, and that he is a piece of $hit for doing that, after how much I've helped him, he's doing that in bad faith, and not even taking what she asked seriously.

You may think this is insecurity, but I can assure you its not, its simply the lack of respect for her and myself. Having a brother in law who helps you a lot its like to have a brother who you can count. I also told her that I won't be going to his restaurant to eat any longer or his house for any event, that I prefer to cut this friendship and stick with my values before being a hypocrite.

You might think, take the high ground and ignore, do it for her family, but its just in my gut tells me he's not a good person, cause if I have a sister who is happy with her bf, her bf helps me a lot how I helped him, me personally, I would do everything in power to make that guy a brother, when society is a piece of $hit and pretty much everyone wants to take advantage of other people, but again that's me, I've never had this before, so I'm just following my gut.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can see where you expect some courtesy from him that is not forthcoming. Like you, I help people without expecting people to reciprocate, but I don't think you're asking too much.

I would just stop doing anything for him, not even getting him a beer from the fridge when I'm in the kitchen.

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can see where you expect some courtesy from him that is not forthcoming. Like you, I help people without expecting people to reciprocate, but I don't think you're asking too much.

I would just stop doing anything for him, not even getting him a beer from the fridge when I'm in the kitchen.
It may sound petty from me, but in all honesty, what's would be the reason he never deleted that picture of her sister and her ex ONLY, knowing that I have him on my fb. I don't know man, I never expected anything from him, but if I have a sister and I would never have a picture with her ex and her in my fb, when her new man is present in their life.

Mind you, we've been together the whole family on vacations, that was after I told him, so I twisted my arm to be courteous. But today hit me, this motherfvcker doesn't value my friendship or rspect me, so fvck him

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mind you, we've been together the whole family on vacations, that was after I told him, so I twisted my arm to be courteous. But today hit me, this motherfvcker doesn't value my friendship or rspect me, so fvck him
I think you're absolutely right to feel disrespected.

Also, unfriend him on FB. Cut all social ties. Ignore him during family visits, just... ghost him. If he asks why you're ignoring him, tell him that he knows why. Don't explain or elaborate, just let him figure out where he went wrong. You don't owe him anything, not even common courtesy.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Divorced w 3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Two things (maybe three depending how you read this)
1: what he chooses to do does not need to influence how you feel. Don’t let it. If it continues to, maybe examine if you feel you’re doing something to his sister somehow that would make him want to antagonize you

2: the more you bring it up to him, her or anyone that it bothers you, the greater he’s going to feel and the longer that it’s going to stay up. Simply ignore it. Want to drive him nuts? Shower your girl with affection, smile, be absolutely in love with her and with life. Be the guy everyone wants to know and be around.

3: is he really your brother in law? If not, maybe chew on that. Refer to point 1.

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
: what he chooses to do does not need to influence how you feel. Don’t let it. If it continues to, maybe examine if you feel you’re doing something to his sister somehow that would make him want to antagonize you
He said one time that she was spending more time with than with him.

the more you bring it up to him, her or anyone that it bothers you, the greater he’s going to feel and the longer that it’s going to stay up. Simply ignore it. Want to drive him nuts? Shower your girl with affection, smile, be absolutely in love with her and with life. Be the guy everyone wants to know and be around.
Yeah definitely, but you know what, I thought he would be happy that I'm making his sister happy, it was my fault for having faith in humanity. After all, his wife called the police on him and she hurt herself so he could get arrested, then after 8 months they went back together, and there are rumors that his daughter is not his, but he never had thee guts to do a paternity test, so he lives in a self imposed prison.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Honestly I'm just not sure why you care.

It isn't something I would even spend 5 seconds thinking about.

I can't control what someone else does or doesn't do on their own personal social media account, all I can control is what I do. I've learned to not spend time worrying about things out of my control, they don't lead to anything productive.

It's not like he is writing posts about you saying you are a POS and that he wishes his sister was still dating this ex.

One of the reasons why I've ditched social media...it causes a lot of unneeded drama and tension over small things that people shouldn't spend any time thinking about. I don't want any of that negative energy trying to pull me down or interacting in my headspace.

If it bothers you that much, simply shy away from helping him anymore. Also would suggest giving a trial one month break from all social media so you can see how much better you'll feel without it in your life. People don't realize just how much energy it sucks out of you and how much it acts like an anchor around you until they are away from it for a time and then they are like "Goddamn, it feels pretty great not dealing with this every day".

It's like the ring from Lord of the Rings...it corrupts anyone who possesses it and they don't even see it while it's happening.

Last edited:

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
State your opinion and go on, thats all you can do. I wouldn't get hung up over a picture. I'm sure he doesn't approve 100% of how you live your life. Should he get butthurt and start a silent protest too?