Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the next month or so, I plan to begin training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've always wanted to learn how to wrestle, and I figure Jiu-Jitsu would be the most effective, no-bullsh*t grappling art I can learn. Also, it seems like it would be effective for my body type (5'9, 160 lbs, solid but not huge). Later I might also train in Muay-Thai.

Anyone else practice BJJ? Any suggestions, tips?

nw1512

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah i'm a blue belt in BJJ

Be prepared for the long haul though.

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
would you guys say it's impossible to power-lift and practice ju-jitsu and the same time because of the 'sore-muscle' factor.....i've wanted to take up some martial arts but i also don't wanna stop lifting.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not impossible, but they are different and won't compliment when you are at a high level.

Apart from the training fatigue, also consider the weight class issues.

If you aren't that good or non competitive it doesn't really matter.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I got a blue belt on BJJ and also fight NHB. BJJ is great for when you get stuck on the ground in a fight. A lot of the techniques may seem confusing at first, but just stick with it and you'll begin to develop a repitoire of techiques that you will use over and over.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are two jiu-jitsu schools near me. The first is run by a brown belt who also competes in mixed martial arts tournaments. The other is comprised of three different instructors, one of whom is a 3rd degree black belt, another black belt, and a brown belt.

Both schools participate in competition. Which do you guys think is better? I plan on going to both of them, but what sorts of things should I look for?

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
work out on seperate days then you do BJJ on.

take good diet, good protein intake + glutamine supplementation will make recovery easy.

right now I workout on monday/wed/fri, do muay thai on tue/thur/sat, the soreness is not an issue. human body is amazing, it gets used to anything you throw at it

Oooosh

Don Juan
Reaction score
My mates brother is one of the top BJJ fighters in New Zealand, not to mention being very high up in the ranks in Japan.

Of course ...doesn't compare to the Brazilian fighters.

wildchild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I practice muay thai and wanted to move into BJJ i reckong im just gonna try wrestling instead though, they seem to do well in ufc.