bench press question??

groundzero

Don Juan
Reaction score
This topic was probably posted before. When bench pressing, do you bring the bar all the way down to your chest for one rep? Or do you go half way? Open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

trd323

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
go only as far as your elbows make 90 degrees. If, its any lower it will hit the shoulders.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hehe, true, although i'm guilty of keeping flat bench in my routine once in a while as a gauge, and I gotta have that ego number ready to tell people ;)

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
hehe, true, although i'm guilty of keeping flat bench in my routine once in a while as a gauge, and I gotta have that ego number ready to tell people ;)
Eh, ask 'em how much they squat.. that'll shut 'em up.

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ThreeStorms
... and what instead? DB press?
Precisely.

TheNewGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by RaWBLooD
Precisely.
I'm pretty sure WA was just making a joke about the bench press to semag. The bench press is a good compound excercise and one of the best excercises for the chest. DB Press is good for the shoulders. Substituting DB press for Bench Press is... dumb to say the least.

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheNewGuy
I'm pretty sure WA was just making a joke about the bench press to semag. The bench press is a good compound excercise and one of the best excercises for the chest. DB Press is good for the shoulders. Substituting DB press for Bench Press is... dumb to say the least.
DB bench press.
it is for the chest.

ps.watch your attitude.

TheNewGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DB bench press.
it is for the chest.

ps.watch your attitude.
http://www.fitstep.com/Library/Exercises/Seated_db_shoulder_press.htm
Pretty much everybody I know refers to DB press as above.

The same problem also arises with using dumb bells. Should I lower them to be at the same height as my chest, or my elbows at 90 degrees?

Don't think that because you come on here making 750 posts in a month lets you command my respect. How do you find time to hit the gym/sarge/etc? Maybe if you were to come in here and provide some quality advice, it'd be different.

RaWBLooD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheNewGuy
http://www.fitstep.com/Library/Exercises/Seated_db_shoulder_press.htm
Pretty much everybody I know refers to DB press as above.

The same problem also arises with using dumb bells. Should I lower them to be at the same height as my chest, or my elbows at 90 degrees?

Don't think that because you come on here making 750 posts in a month lets you command my respect. How do you find time to hit the gym/sarge/etc? Maybe if you were to come in here and provide some quality advice, it'd be different.
My advice is quality.
The thread is about bench press, i dont care who refers to what were or why.
When a thead about bench press bb press means regular flat bench press and db press means db bench press.

and a problem doesnt arise with dumbbells because it actually hurts some peoples shoulders to go to their chest with BB therefore they ask "Wtf do you have to bring it to your chest", Its the same reason the - Flat DB Bench Press (cant mistake that can you? or dod i have to mention with your feet on the ground too?) is a solution.

Ps. I said watch your attitude.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
bench is great if its wide grip, normal blows my nuts

fyi dbs are used to increase range of motion, go as low as u can.

BobbyJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
I get a better chest workout when I use dumbells. You can't lift as much weight as the regular bench press, but it works the stabilizer musles better.

The other great thing is, most guys don't use dumbells for bench press. And so even though lots of guys can kill me in regular bench press (I do about 185), I can kill most of them on the dumbell press (I usually use 80 pound dumbells).

And you can add rotations with the dumbells. But I will do regular bench press for variety sake.

BobbyJ

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ps.watch your attitude.
Hilarious, coming from you. Terribly hypocritical don't you think?

ThreeStorms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss, DID you joke with the BP or not?! Bring light into our dark dark minds.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MetalFortress
Do dumbbell bench presses with the bells perpendicular to your body, like it's a barbell. Do them that way and your chest will blow up. Do it with the bells parallel to your body and it becomes more a tricep exercise.
I go below parallel of my body with dbs and it feels like my pecs are tearing away from my chest. ugghhh

i do it anyway. :)

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
Eh, ask 'em how much they squat.. that'll shut 'em up.

No they just give some bull**** number from the smith machine insisting it's just as good.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mrRuckus
I go below parallel of my body with dbs and it feels like my pecs are tearing away from my chest. ugghhh

i do it anyway. :)
Eh, no. Picture this...

()--() O ()--() Parallel
...|---|---|
.........|
.........|

...o... O ...o Parallel
...|---|---|
...o....|....o
.........|

Crappy picture but you get it.