basketball and bulking?

war_eagle

Don Juan
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to bulk while playing a sport like basketball? I need to get bigger but I'm not sure if I can bulk while playing. Should I take a break and come back?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With the preponderance of inane bulking questions "critique my bulking routine" threads lately, it leads me to believe that you guys don't see the big ass sticky at the top of the forum. READ IT. THIS WILL ANSWER PRETTY MUCH 95% OF YOUR BULKING QUESTIONS. THAT'S WHAT IT'S THERE FOR. NEWBIES AREN'T SO UNIQUE AS TO NEED "CUSTOMIZED" HELP.

If you did read it, you'll see that playing basketball and bulking up don't mix.

When was the last time you saw a huge ass basketball player?

P.S. Shaq isn't that big (muscle mass wise) given his height.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know, alot of basketball players are doing some serious lifting nowadays.

It depends on the program, but there are some pretty damn strong basketball players nowadays.

war_eagle

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL

When was the last time you saw a huge ass basketball player?
Fvck Shaq, look at Karl Malone and David Robinson, they're fvcking huge.

oatmealandtuna

Don Juan
Reaction score
Isn't David Robinson like 7 feet tall and only 250 pounds? For his height, he really isn't all that huge.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by oatmealandtuna
Isn't David Robinson like 7 feet tall and only 250 pounds? For his height, he really isn't all that huge.
he's just ripped as fukk. Karl Malone isn't that big either, for his height.

war_eagle

Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys are probably right. Its just hard to let go. I'll take a break and come back.

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't quit lifting completely. Just figure out which is more important - playing basketball or lifting. If basketball is important, then do as much for lifting as you can without hurting your basketball. Lift after practice at night or early in the morning. At the very least it will keep you from losing strength, and it will make bulking a lot easier to start up once basketball season is done.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You definitely don't need to quit lifting for basketball. Most major college basketball programs do.

Look at programs like Michigan State, Cincinnati and a few others. They all used HIT training and their players are alot stronger than you think. They get pretty bulky too.

I have an article on the Michigan State program, it was a link off the cyberpump site. If I can find it, I'll post it. I know I printed it out once.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lifting for explosive strength is much different than lifting for mass.. even though any kind of strength training will affect an increase in muscle mass.

D

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by war_eagle
Does anyone know how to bulk while playing a sport like basketball? I need to get bigger but I'm not sure if I can bulk while playing. Should I take a break and come back?
Bulk in the off-season.

During the season you just want to maintain what you gained during the off-season. Try to maintain the amount of weight you were lifting during the off-season but lower the volume(i.e. number of sets and reps). If you keep lifting heavy during the season you will suffer from DOMS and you won't be able to play as hard.

Try to focus on lower body explosiveness and do alot of plyometrics.