And people wonder why girls will always have the upper hand

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
because of douchebags like this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...-from-prom-over-conspicuous-ask-out-technique

Here's further proof, if any should be needed, that grand romantic gestures are overrated.

High school senior James Tate wanted to impress his friend by asking her to their prom in Shelton, Conn., in a way the whole world would notice, The Connecticut Post reports.

So naturally he went to the school in the middle of the night and taped foot-high pieces of cardboard on its entrance to spell out "Sonali Rodrigues, Will you go to prom with me? HMU Tate." (Gawker says HMU means "hit me up." Kids these days.)

The good news: She said yes! The bad news? Tate is now banned from attending the prom because school officials say he was trespassing and risked his life by using a ladder to put up the romantic request.

"This is really upsetting," Rodrigues told the paper. "It's our senior year and we are supposed to have happy memories, not something like this."

Lucky for the pair, the mayor of Shelton himself is getting involved in their case. Mayor Mark Lauretti told a local Fox affiliate he doesn't think the "punishment fits the crime." And as the tale of Tate's predicament spread on national news sites, 30,000 people have joined a group on Facebook in support of the potential prom date. (Shelton's total population, by comparison, is 40,000.)

garruk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
whys he a douchebag?

everyone at my school did stuff liek this, this guy's actions would be considered average at my hs.

it definately depends on the school though, because at my school this was tradition whereas other schools had it much more casual.

but this is HIGH SCHOOL. you dont do these grand gestures to impress the girl: you do it for fun, to top your friends, to keep your mind on something during second semester senior year when grades no longer matter, and honestly its publicity for yourself.

sometimes i still go on youtube and watch old videos of me and my friends doing this stuff. I show them to girls i date too who think its amazing.

Johnnyventana

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know -- dude was just on Kimble, Today show tomorrow. I'm pretty sure he'll be getting laid at prom!

playergamehater

Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah, I would say women, girls only have it, or just mainly easier in the social world, other parts of life, it's probably equally hard for both genders

Sh0t

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that story is cute.

And she said yes, too. What is OP talking about?

Nothing douchebaggy about this story, it was just an over the top sweet gesture

bigneil

Banned
Reaction score
Girls really don't have the upper hand if you give them a good one. That's why it's so important to have sex with them sooner rather than later. My friend in college said it best: "Women. You fvck them and they follow you around."

Sadly though, once you fall for them, it's so easy to mess it up. It's almost like their goal is to get you to fall for them just like your goal is to fvck them (which gets them to fall most of the time, unless they have issues with it).

In my last 6 relationships - the girl was originally chasing me. For the 2 I fell for, the tide turned and I was chasing them and lost. For the other 3 I never quite wanted them that much so they chased me. Somehow it never seems to be mutual.

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigneil said:
Girls really don't have the upper hand if you give them a good one. That's why it's so important to have sex with them sooner rather than later. My friend in college said it best: "Women. You fvck them and they follow you around."

Sadly though, once you fall for them, it's so easy to mess it up. It's almost like their goal is to get you to fall for them just like your goal is to fvck them (which gets them to fall most of the time, unless they have issues with it).

In my last 6 relationships - the girl was originally chasing me. For the 2 I fell for, the tide turned and I was chasing them and lost. For the other 3 I never quite wanted them that much so they chased me. Somehow it never seems to be mutual.
All good points and has been my experience also.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigneil said:
It's fairly common knowledge that most women become emotionally involved with guys when they sleep with them. Which is only natural when you think about it.

Maybe this is the real secret of the jerk. Jerks will have sex with multiple women without regard to the girls' feelings, he just wants to get his rocks off. But since he has sex with multiple women, many of them will get hung up on him because of that emotional aspect of intercourse. So then it appears that "Women go for jerks". Maybe it's just that women go for guys who have sex with them.

Women tend to be somewhat passive in dating. They tend to wait around to be asked, since they can afford to do that. The jerk often gets there first. He's not worried about what the girl thinks of him, he just wants the pvssy. So he's not so outcome oriented as the "nice guy", who hesitates to ask the girl out because he does care what she thinks of him, and is afraid of rejection.

mahoney

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
zekko said:
The jerk often gets there first. He's not worried about what the girl thinks of him, he just wants the pvssy. So he's not so outcome oriented as the "nice guy", who hesitates to ask the girl out because he does care what she thinks of him, and is afraid of rejection.
I don't think this is quite true - the jerk/nice binary is kind of a fallacy (who says he is a jerk? the nice guy. and who says the nice guy is nice? the nice guy. its all about his perception, how come he decided to choose who was which?)

i think its more like this

the 'niceguy' doesnt care about HER, he cares about what she thinks of HIM. the 'jerk' isn't really all that bothered about what she thinks about him because he doesnt have self-esteem issues, and if the girl is going spending time with him, then what is there to overthink?

Its nothing to do with how the girl might actually feel - its too much about how 'niceguy' feels - overinvested, entitled, self-centered - but thinking he cares about her. he doesnt even know her half the time

the problem with this 'niceguy' thing is that these socalled niceguys spend too much time thinking about themselves but they THINK they care about the girl. they get angry that the girl doesnt show them enough attention, its really quite self-centered. the so-called 'jerk' is really just someone who doesn't get overinvested in how much a girl likes them or not, or how much she texts them, and all this other stuff.

The problem for the girl is this. if she wants to do something relaxed, or just see a movie, or hang out, there is no pressure from the 'jerk'. the time spent with him is actually quite nice! but if the girl hangs out with many of these 'niceguys' it can never be relaxed or unpressured because the niceguy always wants it to be more serious, and earnest. this time often isn't really that nice, or fun. and then when the time is over, hes texting straitaway, expecting a response straitaway and then if he gets a response, what does he do? he sends another one! - more crowding of the girl, its never simple or easy or relaxed or fun.

thats the problem of the niceguy, they spend far too much time thinking what they want - they dont actually think or care about what the girl ACTUALLY wants at all, they just think they do. they're really not all that much fun, those niceguys

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mahoney said:
I don't think this is quite true - the jerk/nice binary is kind of a fallacy (who says he is a jerk? the nice guy. and who says the nice guy is nice? the nice guy. its all about his perception, how come he decided to choose who was which?)
Because he's the one who's doing the complaining?

You make some valid points, and I agree with you. In many cases, the "nice guy" is really the jerk, and the jerk is really more of the nice guy. The jerk just wants to have some fun, while the nice guy's motives may actually be more selfish (trying to build up his own validation and ego, for instance).
Maybe what a nice guy is in pickup terms is really a guy with self esteem issues.

There are probably quite a few facets to the whole nice guy/jerk phenomenon.

mahoney

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
zekko said:
Because he's the one who's doing the complaining?
exactly, everyone thinks they are the niceguy when they lose out, and they don't think in these terms when they don't lose out

this niceguy defence is a way of pinning the blame on the girl or some other dude instead of looking at own behavior. its saying 'nothing wrong with me or my behavior here' while they are pulling some pretty stalky/creepy/needy/entitled bs