Advice on hairstyle/appearance?

Acidic Camel

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm pretty much set on getting my hair cut soon, and as the family hairdresser is popping round tomorrow, I think it would be a good time to discuss what style I'm going for. I've had long hair (shoulder length and longer- see pics) for about five years now and while it meant a lot to me in my post-school years, now I'm not particularly bothered with it. Something easier to mange (and less likely to produce 'hippy' jokes) would be nice, and appealing to the ladies of course ;). But since I'm hopeless when it comes to my appearance, I hand it over to you guys.

Here's some photos:
http://www.radiantsplit.com/camel1.jpg
Best close-up I have, unfortunately.

http://www.radiantsplit.com/camel2.jpg
Hair tied back. Don't ask about my expression.

http://www.radiantsplit.com/camel3.jpg
Crap old pic, but shows my full height.

And some advice on my dress sense wouldn't go amiss either...

Royal Elite

Banned
Reaction score
Dressing is simple too me, I have an emaculate sense of style, since where I come from-Brooklyn NY males are expected to be fresh to death (slang for stylishly dressed) at all times.

If you have on more then two colers, they should be matching something else. So if you have on a shirt with 3 or 4 colers, on the colers in your shirt should be matching something else (belt, shoes, hat, head band, ect)

Dont be too tight and dont be too baggey.

Clothes should be pressed/ironed and of course clean.

Accesorise. Accesorizing for a man means the more things you have that match, the better you look. The less overt it is the better. For instance if you have a pair of blue jeans with a red loop on it on the side, I would wear sneakers with red on them somewhere, and hat with red somewhere.
I try to match as much as I can, since it lets people know you put thought into your outfits.

In general 3 colers is enough, and try to match at least two of them. No, no's example: shirt red green white, pants blue, shoes yellow, and a orange hat.
Good example. Black button up shirt open, with white t-shirt underneath it, blue jeans with white somewhere on them, white shoes/sneakers with some red in it, and a red hat with a white insidna. The beat would be black or white or red.

Maybnoob

Don Juan
Reaction score
Get rid of that look. 1 It makes you look femeinine. You seem to have a baby face so that look makes you look young and unmasculine. I advise cutting your hair and shaping it up. The keyword here is "Gel".
Ask yourself this what kind of haircuts do preety boys have. Answer shorter hair resemblling tom cruise or brad piit. Go for that look.

I-am-someone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
  • Cut your hair short and ask for something wild. Make sure you keep enough hair to go to another hairdresser in case this one doesn't do what you want. Ask for a masculine looking haircut - a lot of hairdressers will make you look like a woman if you don't watch out.
  • Next, start working out. This is a definite must for you. Do plenty of cardio to get the pudginess out of your face and just go to the gym to work out several times a week. If I'm not mistaken you have virtually no muscle - if you work out for about 3 months you have the potential to be hot.
  • Get rid of those glasses ASAP. I'm not kidding about this, getting rid of them is more important than getting your hair cut in my opinion. The day I put in my contacts after having worn my glasses for most of my life, the amount of women that were attracted to me trippled. Glasses are almost always a chick-repellant, unless you have very stylish ones (which you obviously don't).
  • As for your clothing, go up to the most fashionable girl you know and ask her to dress you. Be willing to spend around 200 pounds for a simple start. Just go with whatever she decides for you, rely on her opinion but be sure that she is not one to fvck you over. Don't expect for us to give you advice, it's impossible to give someone reliable advice over the internet, because you just need to see what looks good.
    Once you've worn some stylish clothes you'll learn what you like. Don't be afraid of trying out new styles, it gives you a better sense of your own taste and what looks good on you.

octane_orphan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Appearance is easy! ... just spend 10 minutes walking up and down town checking out other fellas :) lol ... not in a gay way ... see what there wearing .... then pop in to Topman \ Burton \ River Island and buy your self something similar...

You will feel uncomfortable for about a day as people will see you differently ... but see it as a change and a good change ....

Good luck!

octane_orphan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I walked in to the salon where I had my hair cut on saturday wearing -

Shoes - Topman - £35
Shirt - Topman - £30
Blazer - Burton - £20 (reduced from £60)
Jeans - River Island - £40

It should cost a small fortune to look good!

.. One of the hair stylists actually came up to me and complimented me :) ... made my day ...

Acidic Camel

Don Juan
Reaction score
Harsh guys, but fair. Tough love, right? :)

Next, start working out. This is a definite must for you. Do plenty of cardio to get the pudginess out of your face and just go to the gym to work out several times a week. If I'm not mistaken you have virtually no muscle.
I started going to the gym a few weeks ago (all these pics are at least two months old btw) but it's early days yet. You're right, I do have next to no muscle- right now I'm 5 foot 7 and 58kg- which is why I started it up in the first place. The diet is the hard part because I can barely eat anything.

Get rid of those glasses ASAP. I'm not kidding about this, getting rid of them is more important than getting your hair cut in my opinion.
That's going to be pretty hard. I've never been comfortable with sticking things in my eyes, hence the glasses. My lenses need replacing though, I may as well take advantage of the oppurtunity...

Clothes advice is cool too. I just never bothered with this stuff, partly out of laziness and partly out of stubbornness. And cost. Thank god I'm no longer a student after April...

AMF

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Youve got alot of work to do.

I-am-someone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That's going to be pretty hard. I've never been comfortable with sticking things in my eyes, hence the glasses. My lenses need replacing though, I may as well take advantage of the oppurtunity...
I used to be just like you. It used to take me 30 minutes before I'd finally get my contacts in. Let me just say one thing though, it's worth it. It's just like working out, you have to practice to get better at it. Just make sure you never give up, because that means you stop improving and start to stand still. Like water, when you sit still and do nothing for too long, you go stale and turn all green.
You need to keep on going and be disciplined. The more you do it, the better you will feel about yourself.

As for working out... I weighed 70kg at 193cm for most of my life. Then I started working out (at home) and now I'm at 84kg. Trust me, it shows :p.
As soon as I get my own place I'm going to start working out more actively, which I am certainly looking forward to.

Acidic Camel

Don Juan
Reaction score
Youve got alot of work to do.
That was obvious the moment I wandered in here :p

This is a time of big changes for me anyway: my university course is finishing, I'm going to have to start looking for work (not to mention abandoning the band I've spent the best part of my musical career trying to put together...) and move out into my own place. Right now, things are busy and will be until April. But I've started on the gym, I'm working on the hair and I may even work on the clothes before all those end-of-term parties that will be inevitably be put on.

I-am-someone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
John Lennon only got laid that often because he could sing and was very popular. If he wouldn't have, he would have been a bum living in his parents' garage.
It's not a very good look.

No Escape

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Acidic Camel
I'm pretty much set on getting my hair cut soon, and as the family hairdresser is popping round tomorrow, I think it would be a good time to discuss what style I'm going for. I've had long hair (shoulder length and longer- see pics) for about five years now and while it meant a lot to me in my post-school years, now I'm not particularly bothered with it. Something easier to mange (and less likely to produce 'hippy' jokes) would be nice, and appealing to the ladies of course ;). But since I'm hopeless when it comes to my appearance, I hand it over to you guys.

Here's some photos:
http://www.radiantsplit.com/camel1.jpg
Best close-up I have, unfortunately.

http://www.radiantsplit.com/camel2.jpg
Hair tied back. Don't ask about my expression.

http://www.radiantsplit.com/camel3.jpg
Crap old pic, but shows my full height.

And some advice on my dress sense wouldn't go amiss either...
Don't listen to the negative feedback about your hair..your length is perfectly fine..my hair is mid-back length. Never had a problem scoring women, hot women especially. A lot of women dig it bro, believe me! Just keep it clean(not that you don't), comb it, take care of it, and you'll have no problem. One of the things i usually do with my hair is push it to the side, and i keep it out of my face. I try and add as much character and style as possible to it. There's a lot that can be done with long hair, more so than short hair. Be your own, there's nothing more important in life than that. Be who you are, don't let people influence your decision on how you wanna keep your hair. Be confident with who you are and how you look..people will notice this. Be your own and the chicks will follow, i guarantee it!

Last edited: