Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Your favorite 80's comedy movie?

Favorite 80's comedy?

• Revenge of the Nerds I

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Police Academy I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better Off Dead

• Fast Times at Ridgemont High

• One Crazy Summer

• Summer School

• Breakfast Club

• National Lampoon's Vacation

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Porky's

• Can't By Me Love

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
screenwriters could even conceive in the mid-1980s how to write a male simp character.
On second thought, I think the Duckie Dale character in 1986's "Pretty in Pink" was a bad simp. He was pathetic from what I remember. I haven't seen that movie in such a long time so I don't know how bad his simping would be from the 2010s-2020s perspective of simping.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
On second thought, I think the Duckie Dale character in 1986's "Pretty in Pink" was a bad simp. He was pathetic from what I remember. I haven't seen that movie in such a long time so I don't know how bad his simping would be from the 2010s-2020s perspective of simping.
Exactly my point. Some “simp” characters are overplayed.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some “simp” characters are overplayed.
True.

John Hughes was involved in "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "Pretty in Pink" between 1984-1986. Dating was a theme in all of those, though not all were comedies.

They all were about high school life. Dating as a high school or college student is a different environment than dating as an working person not enrolled in school.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Azz-kissing simping was less of a thing in the mid-1980s than it has been in the social media and smartphone era (2007-present). I don't think the screenwriters could even conceive in the mid-1980s how to write a male simp character.
They nailed it pretty well with this movie:

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True.

John Hughes was involved in "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "Pretty in Pink" between 1984-1986. Dating was a theme in all of those, though not all were comedies.

They all were about high school life. Dating as a high school or college student is a different environment than dating as an working person not enrolled in school.
Compared to my experience, the social situations at those movie high schools might as well have been on Mars. :mad: The only famous person that I feel like a kindred spirit with respect to high-school dating is Brett Kavanaugh, including his incident. :eek::eek: When given the opportunity, a guy like me him had to go for it.

Last edited:

BaronOfHair

Banned
Reaction score
Society

And Scenes From A Class Struggle In Beverly Hills

Are both criminally underseen by the general public. Perhaps it's not a coincidence that both were released in the final year of the decade in question