How many of yall made some good friends from taking martial arts classes?

Travel memoir21

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes I want to do martial arts for self defense and getting in shape…but also want to get know more interesting people.

Anyone here used this to make new friends? Just wondering

Stanley

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just responded to a post the other day about this. To answer your question a resounding yes.

I started attending classes on my own to push my comfort zone, be more confident and engage with others. If you go to a gym with a good vibe and are willing to learn you can make friends. It's kinda hard not to get know the guy you're rolling with as he's submitting you.

A lot of people are shy to try out gyms on their own and feel uncomfortable, but a good gym will treat you well. Sometimes you have to a try a couple to see what sticks. Nearly every martial art has a free drop in on their website or a week long trial. You rarely need any gear to get started, don't hesitate to call a gym and let em know you are interested.

Reaction score
Eventually, if you keep on it. Might take some time, but usually the's lots of cool guys and gals there.

Now one thing I wouldn't mention if it wasn't for the shield of anonymity. For young and lonely zoomer generation guys I would really recommend grappling:

Wrestling, MMA, BJJ, nogi bjj, judo, sambo whatever.
Because that is awesome way give and receive human touch and physical closeness(with men and women) and getting used to it. Bit like dancing classes actually. This is actually really good for your mental wellbeing and makes you feel less needy.

Getting physically close to and touching another person might feel uncomfortable at first if you have never really done it except by you parents when you were kid.

Getting used to it will actually make your initial seduction kino much more congruent and non "weird and icky".

Just don't chit were you eat. No weird eye contact or comments in closed guard goddamnit! :rofl:

Stanley

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@TheGrindEqualsHappiness This is a fantastic post and I really resonate with this. Hitting a bag with 16oz gloves is not the same as rolling with a guy on a mat.

It sounds silly, but during the pandemic I (like many) had a lack of physical connections with others. For a time, the touch of another person felt genuinely foreign until I put myself out there again. But there is something inherently different about working with another person in a combat sense that I really enjoy. I've been going to a Sambo/bjj gym only briefly, but honestly my comfort level in regards to engaging with someone has been great. I'm fortunate also to have some friends who have been practicing BJJ for very long time who are more than willing to show me things.

On the whole a very enriching experience and I would advocate for all men to at least try a martial art that interests them.