Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

House passes bill that could lead to a TikTok ban; fight shifts to the Senate

Mertz09

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
An online property is not the “public square” it is private property so 1st Amendment rights do not apply, if they did I could demand that the New York Times publish my oped.

no shirt, no shoes, no service

p.s. the Chinese are up to no good, we know this they engage in spycraft in the US all the time - last week another scientist was convicted. If you think they’re not enabling in shady Shiite with TikTok you’re not paying attention.
Agreed. 100%

Millard Fillmore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
An online property is not the “public square” it is private property so 1st Amendment rights do not apply, if they did I could demand that the New York Times publish my oped.
The first amendment applies to protecting any speech from government suppression. A content based app is no different from a printing press.

Millard Fillmore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They are both private property. Courts have ruled that the first amendment only applies to public space. And despite the public nature of the Internet, whatever site or app we use is probably going to be private property.
I think two issues are being conflated here.

TikTok is private property, just like most media outlets are. They have right of refusal of any content.

The first amendment applies to government suppression of speech. I.e. the government cannot tell its citizens what they can publish or say (with some minor exceptions). This includes private companies like TikTok. This has already been tested in courts and struck down, and SCOTUS justices both liberal and conservative have already expressed skepticism in oral arguments.

The US government outright banning a private media outlet will not stand up in court unless there is a legitimate national security component. (There isn't.)

Last edited: