Boxing: Barrera vs. Morales III Tonight

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey peeps. Here's a review I wrote for my boxing website about tonite's fight. A little wordy, but I didn't want to butcher my work of art by choppin' O.J. stlye. Anybody have predictions?

Morales vs. Barrera III: The Ali-Frazier of Mexico

By Mr. B

Erik Morales vs. Marco Antonio Barrera, the third installment, is to Mexican boxing what Ali vs. Frazier "Thrilla In Manilla" was to the heavyweight division back in 1975. While most experts are picking Morales based mainly on two factors, size and recent fights, Barrera is by far the only fighter known to have the ability to confuse and out-slug Morales.

Unless Barrera is totally shot (which many thought before their epic 2000 battle), this fight will come down not to size or recent fights, but to the main common opponent, each other. The first rounds will be round 25th of their long saga. Don't expect many new things. The real curiosity is which Barrera shows up Saturday night. Will he come out putting pressure like he did on back on February 19. 2000, or will he come out cautious and using his recently found '"boxing skills" to feel things up then open up.

Morales chance to win will happen if Barrera is more faded than blue jeans, and decides to mix it up early. "El Terrible" would then only need to hurt his opponent and finish him off, not an easy task against a tough customer like Barrera, who just won't go away after the first bump on the road. Physical strength and youth would favor Morales slightly, even tough he himself has absorbed his share of wars in the past few years.

Barrera will win if he is able to sustain pressure for twelve rounds and commits to a relentless body attack from the outset. Back in the first fight he didn't mind getting hit as long as he could continue to pound on the taller, lankier Morales. This time the real question is if he still has the stamina and determination to be willing to take a necessary shot or two.

While most sequels don't live up to the original, both Morales and Barrera will come out and give all they have. It is in their blood, in their soul, and in the hearts of the millions of boxing fans, specially from the boxing rich culture that has produced some of the world's best like Julio Cesar Chavez, "Chiquita" Gonzalez, Ricardo Lopez, Lupe Pintor, Daniel Zaragoza, and many more, who all had one common denominator, the unique combination of Brains & HUEVOS.

As in the days leading to their first fight, I've had a hard time coming up with a prediction for this one. Over the last few years, while having interviewed them many times, they both became "Friends of the Jungle," my boxing website. They are both my two favorite fighters. My loyalty has always been split. Once again, Barrera, who was born about a week after I was, who came up with Forum Boxing Inc. here in Los Angeles in the early 90's, and who captured everyone's heart with his Chavez-like style of breaking down opponents, while taken hard shots, is the underdog, and most people's sentimental favorite.

Morales is from Tijuana, Mexico, the same town I lived as a child. While I thought he came across as arrogant when I first saw him, well, honestly I couldn't stand the man, once I got to know him a little, he always showed us how down to earth and humble he really is. "El Terrible" became, by far, my very favorite interview. This guy would say things into my tape recorder that he wouldn't say to the TV cameras. Always one to speak his mind, and one to remember you the next time he saw you, he took a different road to win me as a fan. Now, along with Barrera, he is my favorite fighter, not only because of his ring accomplishments, but also because of his character and personality.

So now for the prediction. This fight's parallels to the first are so scary that it would only make sense I make a similar prediction. In the first fight, with Morales as a big betting favorite, I wrote how in Barrera, he would find the first fighter who would actually fight back when he attacked. He wouldn't fold, and he would give his life for the pride and stakes involved in the outcome. The same thing will happen in their rubbermatch almost 5 years later. More than anything, styles make fights, and this one is no exception. Barrera still has the style to give Morales fits, he did back in 2000, 2002, will on November 27, and if they fight when they are both 80 years old. Pick: Barrera by 12 round split decision.

Last edited:

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, didnt get to see the fight, just got back from Holidays. From what I heard, it was close with Barerra just pulling it out? What was your view on the fight Gangsta?

I will take a watch of it and have a read of your article. Good pick, you picked Barerra could be a very live underdog.

I personally had a feeling Barerra was shot, but as you rightly pointed out, styles make fights, and Barerra has the style to give Morales a rough night at the office fight in and fight out.

There is a pick I got wrong......hopefully this was just a once off and doesnt continue, lol.

What do you think will happen in the Tarver V Johnson fight?

Nyways off to bed, I will check and make a decent response to this thread tomorrow.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah man, not a lot to say. Fight was very very close, both men gave it their all as they did in their earlier 2 encounters. I didnt score it round by round, as I am currently in the middle of composing my all-time rankings of each division and P4P rankings and currently studying the history books and old films of fighers from the past century.

Who did u have the fight for Gangsta? From just observing it, I thought Barerra had the fight by a couple of rounds, but then again, when u actually watch carefully and score the rounds intensely, things can change big time.

Where do you think each should go from here? Rematch with Paq for Barerra? Morales step up again and try get a fight with Coralles (that is considering the Tszyu v Coralles fight doesnt happen)?

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had Barrera 8-4. A couple of those rounds were very close, mainly the ones Morales won. Barera beat him up and deserved the decision, yet one judge had it even.

Barrera needs to fight some of the top fighters the way he fought Morales, which is to come out and put pressure. He can't afford to wait to see what Pac is gonna throw, and hope to fight after he's hurt.

Manny Pac needs to get in the ring with Juan Manuel Marquez, who practically schooled him after the first round. Barrera vs. Pac would be more competitive, but I would give slight edge to Pac. Styles make fights.

Morales has a better chance against Pac, and against most of the top fighters than Barrera does. His skills and youth are his advantages, plus there are very few fighters, if any who fight with Barrera's styles, which always will give Morales fits.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree 100%

Paq does need a rematch with Marquez, although I dont think he will win it. Pac has very few punches in his arsenal and after the first 3 quick stuns, Marquez had his number and knew exactly what was going on.

I think Morales however could possiby stop Pac and would give him the advantage. Although I dont think Pac would fight Morales, I heard him say in an interview with a phillipino man and close friend of his that he personally thought Morales would have the upperhand against him. He said he though Morales was faster (I personally dont see this), and was a hard hitter with a good chin (obviously).

Coralles would beat either IMO. Although will be brutally crushed at 140 against Tszyu.

What is the link to your website? Are you a paid writer, or you do it for your own website? What is the link to your website again Gangsta?

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clooney,

Site hasn't been updated/worked on much the past couple of years. It was my own thing I was doing, very basic, and amateurish, if you ask me, but it did get relatively popular for a fan site, so I was able to cover fights and report and do interviews, etc. A lot of fun, but it took too much of my time. I am about to start writting again, I miss it.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you say, "so I was able to cover fights and report and do interviews", was this through a small amount of money you earned through the website?

Awesome work anyways!!

I am currently immersed in the boxing tapes, ordering in hundreds of fights from guys all over the world through boxingtalk.com (in the classic forum), some real top posters there. I am also studying the history books, boxing encyclopedias and books on each fighters training reigeims. Man, so much info to take in and not enough time in the day, but I absolutely love it. I am more passionate about my boxing now than ever before. I am even going to start training more seriously and in a couple of years might go back to LA and try have a few pro fights for myself.

U live in the LA area yeah? Man, perfect place to live for a fight fan, access to so much boxing and so close to the big shows in Vegas. Man, Im DAMN jealous!

Let me know when you start updating the site again and give me a link. I will definately be a visitor.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Clooney,

Your PM box is full. I was trying to send you a message.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gangsta,

Sorry, try again. I have cleaned some of it out.

marketboy

Banned
Reaction score
Corrales takes out Tyszu at 140, either by knockout, or majority decision.

He is too fast for Tsyzu, but not as ****y stupid as Zab was.

marketboy

Banned
Reaction score
Jose Luis Castillo is pretty good. I didn't see the fight, but he beat Cassamayor. I knew he was good, as he argubally beat Floyd the first time they fought.

Boxing is starting to get interesting again :)

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Casmayor is WAY past it. Although Castillio is good, a VERY strong lightweight. I think he would give Coralles a good run.

Tszyu V Coralles would be a 1 sided walkover IMHO. I dont see Coralles doing anything to Tszyu. He is probably only a big stronger, is FAR weaker, at 140 would punch about as hard. Is far less accurate, not nearly as good ring generalship or defense or chin. But basically, I just think it comes down to natural strength. Tszyu is WAY too strong for Coralles at 140. Not to mention, clean sharp rights are the punches that seem to really hurt Coralles, and this is Tszyus best punch in his arsenal. Syles make fights, and I think this one is taylor made for Kostya. Not to mention, he is a better fighter in his own right.