Back again with some insights...

Aussieguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello all,

For those who may not remember me, I am the guy who was worried that he was too old to become a DJ. In my quest to become a DJ, I have had some potentially useful insights, and I thought I would share them with you guys from time to time, and hopefully get some feedback. If these seem obvious to you more experienced DJs out there then I apologise, but to me, they have already made a world of difference in my approach with women.

For most of my life, I believed that I did not have what it took to get a woman to be attracted to me. I listened to all the people around me who continously told me how unattractive I was (and it is amazing how easy it is to find people who love to tell you this), and so I always felt that I was never good-looking enough, or funny enough, or rich enough, or cool enough to be attractive.

So as a result, I completely blinded myself to the possibility of anyone who I was really attracted to ever wanting me back. Sure, I had a few one-night stands with women that I thought I had a chance of getting (and surprise, surprise - every women that I felt confident of picking up, I DID!). But the women that I really wanted, I would just hang around and be their friend, and never ever make a move on. As a result, despite being in ly late twenties, I have only ever had one relationship (of course, that was with a total mega-babe, but I will discuss that topic at anther time....)

For those of you who did not read my previous post, I decided that I was tired of being an AFC after a girl I really liked and did the total AFC thing with for a month (spending every night with, listening to her problems, always having time for her etc, etc) completely blowing me off after having a one-night stand with an as##ole musician who never called her back and then having his friend come around trying to pick her up because (and I quote) "he liked a challenge".

To say that I hurt by this would be an understatement. I felt this was just another example of me being a total loser who lost out again to smooth-talking as#-clowns.

But then I began to think about her behaviour with me before this one-night stand. She started off just being really happy to see me and always having time for me, which should have been enough to let me know what her feeling were for me. However, I still continued to act like we were just friends because I couldn't believe a woman this hot would ever see me as anything but a friend. She then started accepting dinner invitations from other guys (she is the sort of girl who gets hit on all the time) in front of me. I took that as just another sign that she wasn't really interested in me. The fact that she kept on cancelling these invites every time I mentioned that I wanted to do something that night didn't click for me either. Four nights before she had this one-night stand, she invited me up to her apartment for "a glass of water". I, in an unbelievable display of denial, said "no, I am feeling kind of tired". So I went back to my room (we live in the same residential block). After a little while, I got bored so I gave her a call and asked if I could come up to see her. When I did so, she was dressed in nothing but a t-shirt and pants. So what I did do? Absolutely nothing! Four days later, she had her fling with the dumb-#ss musician, and had lost all interest in spending time with me. After thinking about this, my first important insight came to me:

IT WAS MY OWN GODDA*N FAULT THAT I LOST HER!

It was me who refused to believe that she could be interested in me.

It was me who never made a move on her, despite her offering herself on a platter.

It was me who frustrated her so much that she had a one-night stand with someone else, and then not wanting anything to do with me.

This realisation hit me like a sledgehammer. I thought it had hurt before when I had just assumed that someone more attractive had taken a girl I genuinely wanted a real relationship away from me. But when I realised it was my own fear and lack of confidence that was responsible for what happened, I felt like absolute crap. Then I began to think about the previous girl who "broke my heart" under very similar circumstances. She too was someone I had spent lots of time with, only to suddenly have a fling (this time with an Irish backpacker who of course never called back) and then suddenly lose all interest in me. With this one, I had actually asked her out after she had had this one-night stand, and she basically LBJF'ed me. At the time, I felt quite bitter about this. Why would she give herself to some guy she had only just met, but turn down a genuine relationship with someone who cared about her?

However, when I examined the situation again in the light of my most recent experience, I saw things in a whole new light. I recalled how she would always ask questions about whether I would date a caucasian woman (I am Asian-Australian). I remembered how she would always speak negatively of my ex whome she had met a few times, and comment on how she would treat me better if we were dating. And most of all, I remembered one night after a Christmas party, she invited me back to her apartment, sat herself next to me on a couch (despite the fact that there were three other couches in the apartment) and told me that she always wanted to date an older man. Of course, I did nothing during any of this, and she had her fling a week later.

It again hit me. She had wanted me all that time. But because of my own lack of confidence, she ended up getting fustrated and went off with someone else.

To say that I was devastated by this realisation would be an understatement. I had let two really special girls slip out of my hands. There was nothing wrong with me. It was just my own lack of faith in myself that had caused what had happened to occur. The thought that I had let this happen more then once hurt like hell (and it still feels quite painful as I type this).

But I then realised that all this pain would go to waste if I did not try to learn from this experience. So what did I learn?

1. You may already be a DJ and not realise it...

When I realised the two girls I had most wanted in the last couple of years had felt the same way about me, I began to seriously reconsider my own self-image. Sure I am not model-handsome, or Bill-Gates rich, or smug and ****y. But I realised that there were other qualities that girls found appealing. The most important step for me to take if I was ever going to enter into a real relationship again was not improving myself (though that is important too) , but open myself up to the possibility that women could find me attractive and be receptive to the signals.

2. There is only a limited window of opportunity with each woman (aka he who hesitates, masturbates)...

In the two examples I detailed above, my mistake was not to make a move early enough. By waiting so long, I had lost my opportunity, not only because (and here I am onl hypothesising) my hesitation caused them to see me as being either cowardly or inept, but because they eventually got frustrated with waiting and moved on. So if one is to be a true DJ, one must recognise the signals of interest soon enough or else lose the opportunity.

3. Harry and Sally are full of crap ...

I know that the "friendship zone" is a popular topic of discussion here. My recent experience has lead me to believe that the occurence of this is overstated. Many times we hear about guys hanging out with a girl as friends in the hope of a relationship or a fling starting at some point. So why can't girls be guilty of the same behaviour? I am the sort of guy who has always had lots of female friends, and when I look back at several of these friendships, I realise that there was (and is) definately attraction present. While I am feeling a little too exhausted to go into full details at this point as this posting is already a lot longer then I had intended (though I may do so in a future posting as there quite a few extra observations that have come out of this), I will share one small anecdote. A few weeks after I came to the realisations I describe above, a girl I had known for about a year came by to have a few drinks. She is quite a stunner, with gorgeous red hair and deep green eyes. In the past, I would have just chatted to her like a good little euneuch and not made a move on her. However, with my new perspective, I decided that I would make a move. While I do not want to go into too much details, lets just say that I wasn't feeling any pains from rejection the next morning 8). The one comment from this girl that struck me the hardest that night was when she said:

"What took you so long?"

In other words, she had been interested for quite some time, but had never said anything. And this is someone I had always just seen as a friend before. So to me, often the "I don't want to risk the friendship" talk appears to be a more polite way of saying "I am not attracted to you" or "I may have been attracted to you once, but that window has now closed". If a girl finds you attractive, the fact that you are friends will not stop her from wanting a relationship with you.

Anyway, I am feeling a little tired as this e-mail has gone a little loner then I planned so I may wrap things up here. I may post again as there are quite a few more observations I would like to discuss later. Let me know what you guys think, and if you would be interested in hearing more!

Interested2

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aussieguy:

So as a result, I completely blinded myself to the possibility of anyone who I was really attracted to ever wanting me back.

Boy I know what you are talking about there. They just NEVER seem to want me back - the ones I want I mean. Why is that??

CobraGT

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Very good Aussieguy. I hope to see you post her more often. I've always found posting my insights sets them firmly in my mind. The statement you mentioned "What took you so long?" is a powerful one. It's very motivating. What's even more powerful is if you can rely on yourself to motivate yourself, rather than relying on the opinion of others to motivate you. You must be your own coach or motivational speaker.

CobraGT

------------------
"If you haven't the strength to impose your own terms upon life, you must accept the terms it offers you." T.S. Eliot

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." Goethe

"Life is (too short) so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot." Sublime

Chicken-Hawk

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good Lord, that's a huge post! How long did it take to type? Just curious.

It just goes to show how important it is to listen to what people (not just women) are saying to you. Actions are stressed here but words count too.

I recall living down the hall from a stripper. I was talking to her about her work (it IS interesting)and she mentioned that her "dream-guy" came in the other night. He was tall, had blond hair, fair skin, hard sharp eyes with slightly feminine features. Guess what? That was a round about way of describing me (I looked super young at the time). I was too stupid to realize it because I was not aware of the possibility.I just wasn't paying attention. The signs were ignored.

Just goes to show, keep your ears open and that brain working.....

Take No Dirt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with you dudes here. Women emit certain telltale signals that they find you attractive and would like to be approached. Short of coming straight out and say to you "Bone me!", they are subtle about it (it's still not generally acceptable for a female to be the pursuer). Your eyes and ears have to be watchful and alert at all times. Also, if you desire her, don't even waiver one second. Just ask her out!

[This message has been edited by Take No Dirt (edited 01-13-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Take No Dirt (edited 01-13-2002).]

CobraGT

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Take No Dirt:
I agree with you dudes here. Women emit certain telltale signals that they find you attractive and would like to be approached. Short of coming straight out and say to you "Bone me!", they are subtle about (it's still not generally acceptable for a female to be the pursuer). Your eyes and ears have to be watchful and alert at all times. Also, if you desire her, don't even waiver one second. Just ask her out!
Hehehe, yeah Take No Dirt, you've got to learn to think ******** when in their presence!

CobraGT

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Right on, Aussieguy. From this point on, expect a lot of action!

Better late than later

Take No Dirt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CobraGT:
Hehehe, yeah Take No Dirt, you've got to learn to think ******** when in their presence!

CobraGT

CobraGT, I'm slowly but surely learning. Thanks for reinforcing that concept into me. Master DJ Pook is a master at deciphering ********.

CobraGT

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Take No Dirt:
CobraGT, I'm slowly but surely learning. Thanks for reinforcing that concept into me. Master DJ Pook is a master at deciphering ********.

******** bugs me to no avail. I'd rather avoid it completely, but that might make for a lonely life. I like things straight foward. I don't like hints. I don't like drama. I don't like or have the time to try to figure out what most women mean when they speak or act ********. Unfortunately there is no getting away from it. We must force ourselves to be fluent in ******** even if we don't like it.

Pook is good at understanding ********. I read in one of his recent posts that he thinks he should probably post here more often. I hope he does. His threads are even better than most because he follows up with informative replies. He always follows up to make sure everyone understands his meaning which is awesome!

CobraGT

------------------
"If you haven't the strength to impose your own terms upon life, you must accept the terms it offers you." T.S. Eliot

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do." Goethe

"Life is (too short) so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot." Sublime

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Welcome back Aussieguy. It's good to see you posting again.

trickynick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess you posted duplicate threads. One was moved and the other closed. I posted on the other one so I'll move my response to his one:

Very interesting story. With the first girl you talked about it did sound like you had your window and you blew it. There may have been a reasonable interest level initially because you did at first appear to be a challenge but as you became friends with her, you acted like an AFC/niceguy and she went and found a jerk(the musician), I had this happen several times in my AFC days. It was like my confidence with women was so low at the time that I didn't even get it that she could possibly be interested in me. I know what you mean about this kind of thing.

Aussieguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
One point arising from my previous posting (which was admittedly written just as much for personal cartharsis as for discussion purposes) which I neglected to expand upon due to fatigue - I am still uncertain as to how much I need to change the way I interact with women. I have no doubt that I need to be a lot more pro-active in initating physical affection (i.e SEX). However, as I mentioned in my last e-mail, the two girls who I was most attracted to in the last couple of years were both highly attracted to me at one stage. Yet I had exhibited traditional AFC behaviour with both of them, most noticably, giving them no indication of any romantic or sexual interest what so ever. It seemed that when I spent a prolonged periods with these girls, and showed no sign of interest whatsoever, it made them even more intereseted, to the point where they were becoming quite obvious about their intentions. Of course, because I then continued to show no interest, they then lost all interest in me, and (and this is just a hypothesis on my part) in their frustration and desire to prove that they could be attractive to men, had one-night stands with sleazy as*holes. So while I do need to show more intiative in making moves, I am not sure about the need to change the way I interact with women in the way that many of the tips on this board suggests, i.e being ****y, confident, teasing etc. Part of this is based on a recent experience I had, where I got some very strong signals from a very attractive acquiantance of mine that she would be interested in a fling. As part of my quest to rid myself of my DJ behaviour, I tried doing the whole ****y, confident thing when we went out one evening, only to have her seem to lose interest by the end of the evening. She even said to me "You know, I find guys who are too confident a bit of a turn-off". Part of it may have been me trying too hard, but I also feel that the cool, ****y thing may not work for everyone. My theory that it is not being nice that turns women off, it is the lack of sexual intiative. Thoughts?

Man Of Adventure

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you know you got what it takes to attract girls, then you can attract girls at your own will. Its self fulfilling. I too have screwed up. Whenever in doubt, just keep reminding yourself and you WILL eventually succeed with possibly any girl you want.

Why not practice this way of thinking on many girls...MORE POWER TO US!!

------------------
Stop pursuing, and make them be on the chase.-MOA