Bill Maher on Feminism

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:crackup: Oh I needed that... Someone needs to give him a show again.

LONG LIVE THE STREET CAT!

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
:crackup: Oh I needed that... Someone needs to give him a show again.
He's had one on HBO. The new season/first episode airs August 24.

Long live Bill Maher!

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Right fvcking on, Bill!

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahaha, that's pretty good.
I think I play it safe too much.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just watched it; the guy's brilliant. This is a must-see everyone.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love you, Bill Maher.

I watched him for two or three years.

comic_relief

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
I don't know... Gotta wonder whenever they have you use canned laughter.
It's clearly not canned.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deep Dish said:
It's clearly not canned.
So how do you attribute starting and ending in unision, the perfect timing with the actors, the fact that the jokes weren't really that good?

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
While the first wave of laughter (0:05-0:07) is rather symmetrical, the subsequent laughters are asymmetrical (for example, 0:48-0:56 has laughter with applause, 1:03-1:06 is laughter continued from 0:59-1:01, and 1:21-1:26 has two distinct waves of laughter). Throughout the whole routine, laughter begins with different strengths but then asymmetrically fades out, sometimes followed by applause or more laughter. Furthermore, at 2:24 we see it's not a television studio. It's probably not Broadway but it's a full auditorium. It's a full audience with two balconies of people; everyone is animated, clapping, eliminating the possibility of cardboard stick figures. Unlike television studios, there's no red sign above Maher to indicate when to "LAUGH RIGHT NOW".

And perfect timing? That's how these things go.

By way of comparison, there's this video of Lewis Black, far and away the funniest comedian alive today. He, too, is on a stage, verifiably, and the audience laughter shares all the same characteristics. Except the auditorium's interior decorating is far better, of course, and Lewis is far better.
The fact that the jokes weren't really that good?
There we are. You simply didn't find him funny. That's fine, and in fact I would rate Maher medium on the funny scale, but just don't add the bullsh*t.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deep Dish said:
While the first wave of laughter (0:05-0:07) is rather symmetrical, the subsequent laughters are asymmetrical (for example, 0:48-0:56 has laughter with applause, 1:03-1:06 is laughter continued from 0:59-1:01, and 1:21-1:26 has two distinct waves of laughter). Throughout the whole routine, laughter begins with different strengths but then asymmetrically fades out, sometimes followed by applause or more laughter. Furthermore, at 2:24 we see it's not a television studio. It's probably not Broadway but it's a full auditorium. It's a full audience with two balconies of people; everyone is animated, clapping, eliminating the possibility of cardboard stick figures. Unlike television studios, there's no red sign above Maher to indicate when to "LAUGH RIGHT NOW".

And perfect timing? That's how these things go.

By way of comparison, there's this video of Lewis Black, far and away the funniest comedian alive today. He, too, is on a stage, verifiably, and the audience laughter shares all the same characteristics. Except the auditorium's interior decorating is far better, of course, and Lewis is far better.There we are. You simply didn't find him funny. That's fine, and in fact I would rate Maher medium on the funny scale, but just don't add the bullsh*t.
Though your analysis was thorough and must of been absolutely time consuming, you failed to realize that I was talking about the other video.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My bad. Sorry.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The clip of Ali G (Borat) doesn't use canned laughter. It was broadcast as part of the UKs 11 O'Clock Show and the laughs come from a studio audience watching a pre-edited clip.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nighthawk said:
The clip of Ali G (Borat) doesn't use canned laughter. It was broadcast as part of the UKs 11 O'Clock Show and the laughs come from a studio audience watching a pre-edited clip.
I don't know, it's not typical for a television show to pipe through the audience reaction during a recorded clip. At least they major broadcasters here in the US. How do you know this?

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to watch the show, and he used a similar set-up with clips being played to the audience on his own Da Ali G Show.

Uk tv rarely if ever use canned laughter, it's considered tacky and was cut from US imports like MASH. Some audience laughter might possibly be 'augmented' sometimes, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't have thought so in this instance. Ali G was pretty popular by the time this clip aired and wouldn't have found it difficult to raise the recorded level of laughter.

Showing pre-recorded clips to the studio audience and sound-tracking their reaction is pretty standard here. Doesn't The Daily Show do a similar thing with their edited-to-make-the-interviewee-look-dumb reports?