The Nutrition Thread

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For leaving tips, pick just one topic and write about it in depth. No lists please.
Also, please limit discussion in this thread. It is designed to be informative and concise. If you have questions or arguments, please PM the poster directly. Posts may be deleted if they don't respect these rules.
Thank you!
********************************************************************************************************************************

Substance.

Foods of substance are whole foods. Carbs can be thick like apples, bananas, even potatoes, or, you have breads, pastas, and fruit drinks. Substance fills you up, so that you can't fit anymore. Foods of substance, esp. when you're trying to remain lean or lean down are more beneficial in achieving this goal since 150 cal of carbs from an apple will satiate you longer than 150 cal from 8oz of apple juice. Many reasons why people get fat or stay stuck at a specific weight deal with the food they eat. The more "whole food" you go, the leaner you can become.

People who stick with strictly liquid protein diets find themselves under nourished and hungry quite often. However, if liquid protein is buy one source, and you balance that liquid protein meal with something solid that will fill the volume of your stomach up, you won't be hungry.

If you're trying to lean down, you want to focus on getting more whole foods. If you're trying to bulk up, you want high calorie dense foods and lots of actual liquids, like fruit juices or protein shakes with olive oils. This is why eating tons of chicken becomes a chore when you're huge, 225-350, because you're stomach just can't suffer ALL the protein necessary at one meal to get that big, and is also why ALOT of large NFL football players rely on meals like McDonalds, because the sheer amount of calories is tough to get in truly CLEAN meals.

A meal comprised of chicken, vegetables, and a sweet potatoe with healthy butter might top 600 calories, at best. For someone bulking, to eat that many meals would get expensive and difficult to stuff. However, down many meat patties, olive oils, or crap take out food achieves the same general goal easier. I'm not advocating going out for crap food if you're bulking; leave that to those on roids who can assimilate the calories quickly. What I am saying is, don't drink many, if at all, fruit juices. Eat the apples. The best part of what fruit is is in the actual fruit. The fiber, the water, the juices, the antioxidants. That stuff is lost when its added with sugar, dumped in large vats, and shipped to grocery stores where its safe to sit for days, even after processing. It's not hard to switch habits when you begin examining what you eat.

Fats

One thing I've done that helps when you're gaining muscle or trying to lose fat is add MORE healthy fats, via avocados, nuts, peanut butter (all natural, no sugar added, Like Teddy PB), olive oils, etc, is eating more fat. I'll smear a rice cake with a good healthy amount of fats and down a protein shake, that will take my energy FURTHER than downing a banana on the golf course or at work.

Why?

1.) Fats trigger a hormonal response in the brain as if to say "i'm full." You don't eat more. So the 50-100g of protein you get and good fats are wonderful at triggering a healthy, I'm full response, so you don't get unnecessary sugars when your body doesn't need them.

2.) Fats trigger hormonal responses for growth, repair, and sexual drives. A lack of fats hits men and women equally. Women who aren't "horny" normally have a lack of fats. That might not be all, but certainly not getting natural components can lead to a decrease in sex hormones. For men it means less Testosterone production, thereby decreasing errections and the sex desires you have.

3.) Internally, the wonders of omega 3's and fish oils have been praised here. But I'm also suggesting good fats at most meals to help feel FULL. To help with other anabolic growth needs, and to help with hormone production.

Most time I hear people talk about how cholesterol levels are to blame, however, 75% or more of cholesterol levels are determined by genetics, and are NOT directly linked to the heart diseases we think. One of the most notable reasons dr's don't care is because they're subsidized by the drug companies. They're so apt to write a prescription for anything heart linked, and these days, EVERYTHING is heart linked, they have the WRONG culprit. It isn't fats. Maybe transfats, but NOT fats like we used to think. If anything, it's all the carbs, man made and excessive natural ones too. People are more lethargic than ever, yet consuming MORE calorie dense foods than ever.

If you're diet is reasonable, and you're active, the 25% that's linked to diet will take care of itself. Sometimes the problem is too far gone, and a person takes meds to stay in line, but I know people of all walks of life who's diets are tight, they're active, and don't drink, and yet, their cholesterol levels are off the charts. What wasn't stated was their family had this history of high levels. Not that that's bad, but that was the history, not the reality.

A-Unit

Last edited by a moderator:

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my continued attempt to make this a 'Nutrition Tips' sticky, here's some words from me:

Post Workout Nutrition

A lot of people overanalyse the post-workout shake, especially the carb component. I used to as well, but I can tell you that in the long run, it does not make a damn bit of difference whether you have dextrose, maltodextrin, oats, fruit, fruit juice, gatorade, whatever. As long as it's protein and carbs then it's fair game.

Of course you'll find some 150lb braniac telling you that a 2:1:1 ratio of dextrose:malto:whey with 5g bcaas, 10g glutamine peptides and half a measure of scotch whiskey is OPTIMAL and doesn't stress the digestive system as much blah blah blah but as long as the strength gains are there you'll have no problem gaining muscle; as long as you get a subsantial amount of food in post-workout then you're fine.

You are (or should be) eating all day, there should be plenty of nutrients in your bloodstream so that the post-workout drink isn't the making or breaking of your bodybuilding success. It's important to feed yourself post-workout of course, but it's also important to feed yourself throughout the day. Your post-workout drink is 3 meals a week, there's another 39 feedings in that timespan which contribute much more significantly to gains.

Hell, the strongest guys I know (big powerlifters) don't even have a post-workout shake, they just hit up the nearest AYCE joint after their session.

Just some stuff to think about. :)

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My Thoughts On Dextrose

For those who use post-workout carbs (not everyone does or even should), dextrose is acclaimed to be the holy grail of post-workout nutrition (at least, they did until waxy maize came along). It has a ridiculously high GI/II and digests extremely quickly, making it apparently optimal for glycogen replenishment, and kick-starting the post-workout repair and growth process practically immediately after you gulp down your shake. Studies have been done on dextrose (plus maltodextrin) post-workout, and they have been found to be optimal for glycogen replenishment. And without full glycogen stores, you can't grow, right? (well that's a loaded question but anyway.) It is also as cheap as hell and for a few bucks you can get several months' supply.

So, fast-acting, clinically proven and cheap, and tastes as sweet as it sounds. Can't go wrong, right? My opinion is that it is absolute garbage.

First off, it's a processed carbohydrate. Dextrose (as sold as a bulk powder) is not naturally available on its own, and has to be commercially obtained, either through the inversion of cane sugar or the hydrolysis of starch. So, if you're trying to avoid refined sugar for health reasons, why do you want throw a load of this down your throat after your workout? Given that most people on this board don't want to compromise their health for their gains, I see a pretty strong argument for avoiding dextrose altogether, post-workout or not.

Secondly, the studies on glycogen replenishment are done in labaratories and on paper, and while in this medium replenishment may be optimal, in the real world it doesn't really make a difference (see above post). I have only ever used dextrose once as a post-workout carb and I have had no trouble growing. Maybe on paper it is a significant difference, but in reality you won't be stunting your gains by not using dextrose post workout. People had no trouble growing before dextrose, or even whey for that matter, became commercially available, and many people grow without post workout carbohydrates at all (or even post workout protein in some cases).

Dextrose is nutritionally void. Cane sugar has some minerals and vitamins, but commercially produced dextrose does not. When cane sugar is refined, it is seperated into dextrose (no nutrients at all) and blackstrap molasses (which keeps the nutrients from cane sugar: potassium, calcium, iron, b6 to name but a few). So in choosing dextrose you're keeping the refined sugar and throwing out a host of beneficial minerals and vitamins - blackstrap molasses is actually pretty good for you by the way.

I also think dextrose tastes pretty bad too. Well, that's subjective but there you go.

And unless you're at such an advanced stage where you really need an edge and you think dextrose MIGHT provide this, I see no reason to put what is nutritionally void sugar in your body. If you need fast-digesting carbs post-workout then raisins, dates, molasses, honey or fruit are far healthier choices, and will get the job done just as well. If you want to 'optimise' this with starches, then potatoes or rice are good choices, as are wheat/oat products if you have no issues with them.

eaturmcts

Don Juan
Reaction score
Heres a couple from me :)
1. Food is the greatest anabolic out there guys. It doesn't matter if your doing all the steroids in the world, but if you eat like a little HB9 then your going to be a 130lb-180lb monstrosity for the rest of your life.
2. Protein is by far the best macronutrient when it comes to body composition period. For all you guys out there who say they want to cut at 150lbs to lower there body fat, please get your priorities right. You need to get on a moderate-high protein diet, followed along with good carbs(I advocate veggies/fruits every meal except post workout, but i digress), and GOOD fats with every meal. (omega-3s,monos, and some saturates.) This way you will continue to improve your body composition while actually being able to put on some muscle, instead of looking like some 110lb twig boy with a six pack.
3. Try to eat every 3-4 hours that you are awake, as WARBOSS said above, it not only speeds up your metabolic rate, but it also gives your body a constant supply of nutrients to repair the damage done in the gym. (You guys do workout right? ;) )
4. Eat more solid foods, then liquid containing drinks. Yes this includes MRPS, protein shakes, pop, soda, everything. The thermogenic effect of feeding boosts the metabolism too much to be simply ignored.
5. Live your life, almost no one who has any sort of social life what so ever can follow a 6 meal a day diet with only healthy foods, its ridiculous to even attempt that in my opinion. Start off slow, and work your way up to hitting about 85-90% of your meals for the week as good meals, remember here skipping a meal has just as bad effect on body composition as cheating, so that 15% is for you to live your life however you want it.
6. As far as supplements go, I don't recommend all the time for everyone (bulking or cutting), however I have a few necessities that get me by. These are BCAAS (to improve protein synthesis leucine is key here), fish oil (read first post), protein powder( for when I cant eat a solid meal), green tea (fat burner with plenty of anti-oxidants), creatine (strength/makes me think better- (1 tsp a day), and BETA ALANINE ( This is a relatively new product that I find works better than creatine for improving strength (Take 1 tsp a day.) As well as your vitamin and mineral supplements, but if you are eating enough veggies/meat/fruit etc. you shouldn't need one of these.
For all my supplements, I look for the lowest price so I buy at http://www.trueprotein.com and I use discount CHB519

Hope that helps guys, and lets get some more advice up in here.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Let’s say my goal is to lean down for upcoming bodybuilding contest…of coursem, I want to be shredded. What do you think about eating complex carbs for post-workout nutrition?
Largely dependent on your metabolism and current bodyfat BUT in the interest of being shredded complex carbs work fine post-workout. Basically, the leaner you are, the more carbs you can handle, and the more faster carbs. But if you really want to cover all bases and take no chances, have slow carbs post-workout.

Or even no carbs post-workout depending on your dietary approach.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Please don't make this into bodybuilding.com where people post nothing but flawed studies that contradict each other that half the time are done on rats or at least 130 lb marathon rats that are already eating 500g carb a day diets with about zilch for protein.